Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Newbie question... garage circuit connected to ring final circuit. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

I am studying for me 91 and am currently practicing on my home. I have found that my garage circuit consisting of a small 2 way CU with 1 of each; ring and lighting circuit (no RCD). I expected to see this circuit connected to the main CU through its own CB but in fact it is connected to one of the ring final circuits (via a double socket as a spur) and the spare 32A MCB in the main CU not used. I believe, but doubt myself, that this is a C2 because of circuit interconnection and that only an FCU (max 13A) could supply more than one spur (but not the lighting circuit).

Is my logic correct, and if not why not? If I am correct would this constitute a C1 rather than a C2? The rest of the circuits are fine. I scratch my head as to why somebody would do this when there is a spare way in the CU and both the dist board in the garage and the CU appear to be just a few years old.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If I am wrong please can you give me an explanation?

Thank you.

FYI I only have Amendment 2011 knowledge.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi,

I have the same guide, but what is the definition of a cross-connected circuit? As it is not connected to the same CU but is connected like a spur is it really cross connected?

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
I would be grateful if you would tell us before engaging in any further dialogue, what qualifications you currently hold, what books you own to refer to to obtain this '91 you refer to ? If my response seems arsey I don't apologise, but the tone of your question makes my alarm ring a bit.
J

Well it certainly doesn't meet the definition of 'standard circuits'. However, if you were to put a fused spur before the garage CU, then it just about comply. although using a final circuit to supply distribution equipment is bad practise.

rich.250

-
Arms
So a spur off the RFC exceeding 3metres?? Needs fusing down then.
IMO I don't like this arrangement at all!! And if it was my house I'd just put a sub in and have done with it :)

O

Octopus

So a spur off the RFC exceeding 3metres?? Needs fusing down then.
IMO I don't like this arrangement at all!! And if it was my house I'd just put a sub in and have done with it :)
Seen it lots of time, done it a few times, but always using a 13A FCU as the connection point. Sometimes its the only way!

rich.250

-
Arms
Yeh I don't have a problem really from a swfs. Only other thing is segregation of Rcd's and fuse/breakers....
But that's only if it feeds a db out there.

Reply to Newbie question... garage circuit connected to ring final circuit. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom