Discuss Newbie user - alarm wiring in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickandemma

All,

I am obliged to wire in a new alarm sounder.

The old one was wired (with six core cable) thus:
Grey: Negative - Strobe trigger
Blue: Negative siren trigger
Black: Zero V - Supply hold off port 1
Red: Positive - Supply hold off port 2
Orange cable and yellow cable: A/T Return signal

On the Odyssey 3 (Texecom) there are the following ports:

S Strobe -ve
D OV
C TAMP
B Bell -ve
A 12v +ve

Can anyone guide me as to which of my existing cables should go into which of the Odyssey 3's ports.

Many thanks for looking.

grey - S, blue - B, Black - D, red- A, orange - C. if you end up with a tamper fault, may have to link D & C

Thanks. Is the yellow cable not required in the new sounder? Currently the orange and the yellow (two cables) run to the A/T (which I guess is Alarm Tamper.) Or should they both run to C on the new unit?

not sure why 2 cables in 1 terminal. the othe end will be in the panel in tamper return. usually next to the 0v. basically, look in the panel. what you have is a permanent 12v ( red/black ) from panel to sounder, to Aand D. then a bell-( blue ) to B. strobe- ( grey ) to S. and tamp return to C. what panel is it?

check the panel end for Y and O. is the O a link in the sounder? if the cable from the panel is 6 core, it will not have orange.

Last edited:
Thanks. The panel is an Accenta8 mini - G3. Appx 4 yrs old. The sounder is very old and is being replaced as part of an extension. The sounder is as originally wired to the old panel. No idea what that was...other than awful. I will look in the panel and report - but gotta dash to play on steam locos now.

Thanks again.

Thanks. The panel is an Accenta8 mini - G3. Appx 4 yrs old. The sounder is very old and is being replaced as part of an extension. The sounder is as originally wired to the old panel. No idea what that was...other than awful. I will look in the panel and report - but gotta dash to play on steam locos now.

Thanks again.

Steam locos ????? :):):)

THAT sounds like fun !!!!

Hi Telectrix. Just a quick line to say THANK YOU for the assistance you afforded me. The new sounder has been successfully installed and a tiny niggle trouble-shot (the door magnet was a faction out of range of the sensor) and now the whole thing is back to working order. I am so pleased - I knew I could do it but just needed the boost you gave me.

Kindest regards,

Nick - and Emma.

Dear Telectrix,

I wonder if you would be as kind as to point me in the right direction again. Same old system as before. I am now (finally) wiring the new sensors into the system. All I am doing is removing the old yellowed sensors and replacing with BOSCH Blue-Line P1-P units. I have written down the old sensor wiring - but of course (why is nothing ever easy!) the new sensor has different labels/slots.

The old unit was wired:

+ WHITE
- GREEN
NC (1) YELLOW
NC (2) BLUE
SPARE NIL
DL NIL
TAMPER (1) BLACK
TAMPER (2) RED

The new unit has the following slots:

TAMPER
_
+
NC
NC
DA (Digital Alarm)
TAMPER

So I have wired as per the old unit, ignoring the DA slot. I have assumed it doesn't matter which tamper slot takes the red and the black just as long as there is one in each of them.

The keypad shows itself to be happy. All tamper lights are out. But when I then go to arm the system I get three red lights - thus indicating an internal sensor is not armed and ready.

Have I made an error in my wiring?

As before, with much gratitude for any insights you can offer.

Nick and Emma Talbot

Reply to Newbie user - alarm wiring in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net