Discuss Newbie who wants to replace bathroom extractor fan in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

fatah

-
Reaction score
hey, so im a DIYer and learn most stuff from youtube tutorials. At the moment am doing a bathroom renewal, and want to replace the extractor fan for a stronger one. I've a very basic understanding of house wiring and electricity, however i think i could do something straightforward like replacing an extractor fan, if i know follow the instructions.

My worries are getting the right power rating fan, so could you guys give me some advice on this?

In my experience, unless your running a rain shower, a Turkish steam room in your bathroom or have a really large bathroom, most of the typical bathroom fans you can buy will suffice.

Where they struggle, is too long or complicated ducting and vent to outside in the wrong place.

Why do you think you need a "stronger" fan?

Do you leave the window open too?
Do you have lots of condensation/mould in the room?
Does your existing fan actually "draw" air into it?
Can you feel air exiting from the vent with the fan on?
Is the gap under the door big enough to draw enough air into the room?
Does your existing fan continue to run after the the light is turned off?

rule 1..... isolate supply at CU and test for dead.
rule 2.... take a photo of connections before you start.
rule 3 ..... panic.

hey, so im a DIYer and learn most stuff from youtube tutorials. At the moment am doing a bathroom renewal, and want to replace the extractor fan for a stronger one. I've a very basic understanding of house wiring and electricity, however i think i could do something straightforward like replacing an extractor fan, if i know follow the instructions.

My worries are getting the right power rating fan, so could you guys give me some advice on this?

Most fans have around the same output if they are on an external wall and should be set to run on for 20 minutes to change the air in an average room, if its in ducting then you should use a centrifugal fan

Hi Fatah and Welcome to the Forum!
Can you tell us what fan you’ve got now? (perhaps upload a pic).
i live in a council house, so they dont replace anything until its broken, even if its degraded or barely functioning. we've temporarily attached a corded fan onto the existing fan, so its hard to see it, but definitely a cheap and old type.

Newbie who wants to replace bathroom extractor fan IMG_20190527_223746 - EletriciansForums.net

Newbie who wants to replace bathroom extractor fan IMG_20190527_223803 - EletriciansForums.net

In my experience, unless your running a rain shower, a Turkish steam room in your bathroom or have a really large bathroom, most of the typical bathroom fans you can buy will suffice.

Where they struggle, is too long or complicated ducting and vent to outside in the wrong place.
hi, my bathroom is roughly 2.5 x 2.5 meters, however;
-it doesnt have a window
-the door is usually closed at all times
-people take lo~ng showers
-decorator (my brother) decided to use wallpaper everywhere(including the ceiling)

and the current fan is barely functional :p

An make sure enough free air can be pulled into the room to replace what is being extracted.

A small gap under the door will usually be sufficient.
i'll try and see if we can have the door moved upwards slightly, great tip!

Why do you think you need a "stronger" fan?

Do you leave the window open too?
Do you have lots of condensation/mould in the room?
Does your existing fan actually "draw" air into it?
Can you feel air exiting from the vent with the fan on?
Is the gap under the door big enough to draw enough air into the room?
Does your existing fan continue to run after the the light is turned off?
i think i need a stronger fan because;
-there's no window in the bathroom
-people take long showers, so lots of steam
-the existing fan is barely functioning
-i'm thinking to move the door upwards because current gap is small
-current fan keeps spinning after light is off
here's a some visuals bathroom - https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/RQkEV7c
thanks}

That fan you had was not a cheap fan it is a Greenwood Airvac CV2gip. They are known as continuous extractor fans, it should have been commissioned on install and flow rates set up for low speed and boost, these all have humidity and timer overrun options built in if a switch wire from the light has bern used.

If you do the calculations as per Part F in most modern propertys a standard intermittent extractor fan will not comply unless you have enough background ventilation and single glazing.

See the video below but I would select both humidity and Timer overrun options

Last edited:
I got them in my new build house. Not bad fan, except I’ve had to turn off the humidity option on the ones in the kitchen and main bathroom, ‘cos it kept turning on the fan and then never turning off. Probably faulty, but not good 2 out of 5.

Also had to turn the trickle down to minimum, as could stand the noise.

That fan you had was not a cheap fan it is a Greenwood Airvac CV2gip. They are known as continuous extractor fans, it should have been commissioned on install and flow rates set up for low speed and boost, these all have humidity and timer overrun options built in if a switch wire from the light has bern used.

If you do the calculations as per Part F in most modern propertys a standard intermittent extractor fan will not comply unless you have enough background ventilation and single glazing.

hi, thanks for the useful info, but i'm interested in getting a manual fan with a higher flow rate. my bathroom has no window and people take long showers, the current fan almost never speeds up and i have to remove the front plate cover every time just to temporarily increase the speed. :(

hi, thanks for the useful info, but i'm interested in getting a manual fan with a higher flow rate. my bathroom has no window and people take long showers, the current fan almost never speeds up and i have to remove the front plate cover every time just to temporarily increase the speed. :(

i think i need a stronger fan because;
-there's no window in the bathroom
-people take long showers, so lots of steam
-the existing fan is barely functioning
-i'm thinking to move the door upwards because current gap is small
-current fan keeps spinning after light is off
here's a some visuals bathroom - https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/RQkEV7c
thanks}
just watched that. i'm dizzy.

i live in a council house, so they dont replace anything until its broken, even if its degraded or barely functioning. we've temporarily attached a corded fan onto the existing fan, so its hard to see it, but definitely a cheap and old type.

I don’t know what you have done there, but it looks unsafe.

If that Greenwood fan still works, check its set up properly as @AJshep said. If you can get to the ducting, make sure it’s been installed properly, not squashed or full of debris.

Reply to Newbie who wants to replace bathroom extractor fan in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock