Discuss Newbie who wants to replace bathroom extractor fan in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For the Electricians reading this thread - the installation instruction says the fan normally requires a 3A fuse unless it’s connected with a 6A breaker. Top marks for common sense :)

hey, so im a DIYer and learn most stuff from youtube tutorials. At the moment am doing a bathroom renewal, and want to replace the extractor fan for a stronger one. I've a very basic understanding of house wiring and electricity, however i think i could do something straightforward like replacing an extractor fan, if i know follow the instructions.

My worries are getting the right power rating fan, so could you guys give me some advice on this?
Is the fan in the shower (zone 1) if so it should be 12 volt

here's a some visuals bathroom - https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/RQkEV7c
thanks}

don't give up the day job as that video clip shows nothing.

back to my original post - have you checked the "output" from the vent outside?

Also if you don't have any heating is a shower room the steam will be worse...........

‘Press the minus button 27 times - for the purpose of this video I shall only press it 4 times’ - no staying power, that girl, though I did mildly fall in love with her voice!
Looks like a good fan, Fatah - i’d certainly make sure that it’s not working correctly before doing anything drastic.
Check the ducting and the outlet as the members have said.

one thing worth considering, there is no other way that steam can exit the room.
do not expect any extractor fan to keep a room free of steam and moisture whilst you are having a shower or immediately after.

your room contains around 16,000 litres of air, assuming that you have a good supply of air into the room, either from a vent or under door etc it will take 15 minutes to do a complete air change of the room,
because of mixing of the air (dry air drawn in and damp air inside room) it will take 2 to 3 changes of air for the humidity to reduce to a low enough level to prevent condensation on cold surfaces.
your fan should be running on at full speed for 30 to 40 minutes after showering before the room will be dry.

if you are wanting the room to stay steam free whilst you are having your long hot showers, then I suggest a 300 to 400mm fan and ducting will be sufficient.
Note: it will be draughty and if the door is not closed properly it may pull open with the airflow!

Makes sense but now you mention it a 12 V shower does sound safe

I have come across in injection moulding machines heaters that run on 5v dc. a 1kw heater element drew 200A
maybe all showers should be 5volts, fed off an isolating transformer in an adjacent room (center tap to earth = +/- 2.5v) shower would be considerably safer but the cable size for 2000A would be bigger than the pipework!!!

hi, thanks for the useful info, but i'm interested in getting a manual fan with a higher flow rate. my bathroom has no window and people take long showers, the current fan almost never speeds up and i have to remove the front plate cover every time just to temporarily increase the speed. :(

the very LAST THING that shower room needs is a manual fan.

Higher through put and longer timer ......

don't give up the day job as that video clip shows nothing.

back to my original post - have you checked the "output" from the vent outside?

Also if you don't have any heating is a shower room the steam will be worse...........
the heater was removed and will be replaced.
i havent checked the outside fan and its been left unchecked for around 40 years. maybe all it needs is a good cleaning, i suppose?

Reply to Newbie who wants to replace bathroom extractor fan in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock