Discuss newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pieman

hi, just thought I would introduce myself.
I am currently training to be an electrician on a distance learning course with 4 weeks practical training.
my first year I will gain city and guilds 2382 and 2392 (doing it this way as I need to keep working full time whilst I get my qualifications) I was then going to at a later date do the 2391 and part p full scope (do I need this?) when I do the 2391 I was going to do and extra as part of the course that gives you a days training plastering and a day tiling and a day basic plumbing which I'm hoping will help.
I currently work on a trade electrical counter which is what made me want to do this on the first place.

Good that you've been in the trade counter, when I first started learning, I didn't know what was available to the trade to make things work, make things easier and what made an installation. I read and read this forum as the threads and posts were like sitting down with a mentor and learning how they do stuff and get over problem. Invaluable and I will always be grateful. Use the search button as much as you can because you'll find that the course will leave you short of knowledge and you are the only one that can make that up.
Get yourself a job with one of the many contacts you have over the counter and work the job at the same time as doing the theory and it'll click into place much quicker. You are ahead of some because of your current job so use it to your advantage. All the best and get yourself into the trainee section of the forum. Rob

Welcome, trainee sections the best place for you Pieman:)

Thankyou for the words of welcome. What do you guys think about the path I have chosen to get my qualification? A lot of people I have spoken to have urged me to do a 7 week course for all my qualifications but just think that would be overwhelming, so thought I would do the first two courses-17th edition wiring and initial verification and testing in a year long distance course to get my head round it and not be rushed and pressured. Then when I have those qualifications do some non notifiable work based around my current job to get some experience and get odd days work experience with local electricians, before doing the 2391 and going at it full time?

The combined 2394 and 2395 is the equivalent of the 2391. If I was you I would be looking at doing either a long distance learning course or evening college to do 2365 level 2 then 2365 level 3 then finally your AM2 and portfolio to convert in to the NVQ level 3 2357. These are the current industry recognised qualifications to becoming an electrician.

The combined 2394 and 2395 is the equivalent of the 2391. If I was you I would be looking at doing either a long distance learning course or evening college to do 2365 level 2 then 2365 level 3 then finally your AM2 and portfolio to convert in to the NVQ level 3 2357. These are the current industry recognised qualifications to becoming an electrician.
Thankyou that is very helpful, the 2365 level 2 was available as a distance learning course in year 2 of the course plan I am on, but will probably do this as an evening course to get the qualifications a bit sooner after completing my first year and now as you said do the level 3 also.

The sooner you can get an experience gaining job the better. It helps to put what you learn in your head to what you are doing with your hands. I know as I managed to do that and have had the best year for learning. Get chatting to those sparks over the counter or put an A4 up in the shop by the coffee machine.

Reply to newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock