Discuss newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fremantle

hi guys,
I am a newbie here and am to everything electrical. I am 31 and got made redundant from my IT job. I am in Ireland but I am very close to Northern Ireland which is where I would do courses if I was to take one. I have worked in IT for 5 years, I have a similar qualification to a HND here in Ireland in Computer Electronics. I like the Idea of being an Electrician as It is something I hope I could travel with. If work dried up in one place. I would like to get into electrical maintanence. I am thinking about finishing my degree but the job opportunities in my area are poor for this and always have been. I see being qualified as an electrician as being a good qualification for a single man willing to travel. But in the current climate how hard will it be to get some one to take on an apprentice, and are there too many apprentices being put into the system. Is it a bad area to get into now, and how will it look when a 31 is doing an apprenticeship

Thanks
Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone. I am looking at gaining electrical qualifications in order to do installations and self certify ect. My background is...
Replies
Views
I am Andy and live in beautiful North Wales. Served an installation spark apprenticeship way back when I left school in 1979 , did all the extras...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I have been (slowly) restoring my 1974 Saab Sonett for MANY years as a body off full restoration with a mix of OEM and resto-mod...
Replies
Views
Hi, just hoping for a bit of advice. When I travel abroad (Europe, predominantly Spain/Cyprus) I usually take a single travel adaptor and a UK 4...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm currently working towards getting qualified as an electrician and am hoping to get my foot in the door with an apprenticeship or...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock