Discuss Newly Fitted 17th Edition Consumer Unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KENRUCK1956

Hi,
I have just fitted a New consumer unit as my accessment job to get registered.
The layout is:
100amp isolation switch
6 amp RCBO for smoke alarms.
80 amp 30 ma RCD
32 amp MCB for cooker
32 amp MCB for downstairs sockets
6 amp MCB upstairs lighting
6 amp MCB spare
80 amp 30 ma RCD
20 amp MCB for Boiler
20 amp MCB for Washing Machine & Dishwasher
32 amp MCB for upstairs sockets
6 amp for downstairs lighting

I have 2 questions:
1. On the downstairs Ring and Radials I am getting:
Continuity okay but Radial R1 + R2 are 0.00 ohms and
Ring Main R1/RN/R2 are 0.00 ohms and R1+R2 reads 0.03 ohms.
I have re-tested 2-3 times but still get the same readings.

2. I have done Zs on all circuits and all readings are around 23.0 ohms.
All these readings are a lot higher than the max readings in table B6 of the On
Site Guide BS 7671:2008 (2011)

Any help would be much appreciated.
For your information my Tester is a MEGGER MFT 1710.

Regards,
Ken Ruck.

what's your Ze and what earthing system? 23 ohms is not acceptable for a TN system.

Yes it is a TT earthing system with 16mm Main Earth/10mm main bonding and 4mm supplementary.
I understand what you mean by pressing the test button, will check again and let you know.

so. it appears that you are getting the better part of your earth impedance from the service pipes ( water/gas). i'd be inclined to attempt to improve the Ze (Ra) by banging in another rod, but make it 5/8" screwed rods for depth.

OP I understand you want to better yourself, but why the hell have you picked a earthing system you seem to have no knowledge of to carry out a install on?

a bit harsh, dilb. he's measured Ze, seems to know it's quite common to have that sort of reading on TT. he's just goofed a bit with his continuity readings. sometimes, with short circuits, it's better not to null the leads first, but measure the circuit, then subtract the lead resistance.

edit: by short circuits, i mean circuits that are of a short length, not with a fault on them. LOL.

Harsh maybe, but he doesn't understand what the max Zs values should be for it he is using the wrong table. Things like that we're pointed out to me when I sat my 17th edition exam, yes I shouldn't known everything published in it but looking at the wrong table which clearly states for a TN system not a TT.

We go on about the industry being diluted by lack of experience and knowledge, this is a good example of that, if they had come on before requesting info about it with their own ideas then at least it would show they wanted to learn. But no instead oh it's gone wrong the Internet will help me mentality has kicked in.

Thanks for all your advice, positive and negative.
We have all got to start somewhere, this is a new career for me and wanted the help of experts to get a good start.
For your information I chose this system because the previous one was unsafe and needed replacing badly.

when you are using RCD s for fault protection, as in this case , the max. Zs values are obtained from table 41.5, BGB. but, i'd still try and reduce the Ra. when eng54 breads this thread he'll tell you that you should be able to attain a sub-1 ohm value with some effort. LOL.

Thanks for all your advice, positive and negative.
We have all got to start somewhere, this is a new career for me and wanted the help of experts ly.
to get a good start.
For your information I chose this system because the previous one was unsafe and needed replacing badly.[/QUOTE]

surely replace it goodly. looking at your layout of circuits, i can't find fault there. good division of circuits. be an idea if you could post the r1,rN & r2 readings for the 2 rings as well.

Would be a good idea to replace the 100a main switch on your CU for a 100a 100ma S type RCD main switch. Currently you are dependant on the 30ma RCD's for earth fault protection,a 100ma main switch gives back up if they fail to operate. That said the CU layout and Ze value you have complies with the regs for a TT earthing system.

Would be a good idea to replace the 100a main switch on your CU for a 100a 100ma S type RCD main switch. Currently you are dependant on the 30ma RCD's for earth fault protection,a 100ma main switch gives back up if they fail to operate. That said the CU layout and Ze value you have complies with the regs for a TT earthing system.

Here we go with devils advocate

the above will help for sure but 100mA time delayed is not a life saver necessarily....why not just bung another 30mA RCD in series? Especially as they're 90% of the time all within a few inches of each other.... Isn't that "safer"?

apart from tripping over on the way to the fusebox becuase its snowing,dark,no candles, no torch, ........

the 100mA RCD would be a back up fault protection device, not additional protection. for that you are relying on the 30mA devices.

Are you accidentally pressing the button to test continuity....if you are you are nulling the leads to 0

I did exactly that with my 1730 recently, getting 0ohmms on continuity readings, really does throw you! I rang Megger technical thinking my tester had gone u/s. Really helpful person talked through problem, and you can 'over null' you tester. As the Megger 17 series will 'remember' your leads, it's a good idea just to test them each time you use them, or reset & null them. I still forget now.

Reply to Newly Fitted 17th Edition Consumer Unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock