Discuss Next Step advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daniel Morgan

Hi their thanks for reading this post will get you up to speed as to were I am.

Im 25 currently work in retail but desperately want to change my career and become an electrician. Not ideal as iv'e left it a little late however retraining now while i still can.

Currently i have been working a couple of days volunteering with a local electrician for the past 7 months now. In this time i have have been involved in all types of work, network CCTV systems, 3 x part p rewire, consumer unit upgrades inc testing and inspecting and general electrical faults. Im currently on a domestic training course with a company called PASS (this web link shows you the course im currently enrolled on).

Im coming to the end of the course now my final course is a part p course. I successfully passed two City and Guilds qualifications:

City and Guilds 2382-15 (level 3) requirements for electrical installation. (BS 7671) electricians
City and Guilds 2393-10 (level 3) building regulations for electrical installations in dwellings

I want to know what the next best move is. My aim is to be mainly a domestic electrician but can do all aspects of electrical e.g. CCTV install, alarm systems, test and inspect and sometimes small businesses.

The sparky im currently with has been real helpful and has advised that ideally my next stage is to do a nvq level 3 which is 3-4 years.

If this is the case OK, however due to some commitments would only work if it was a part time course and all portfolios could be done on specific jobs ive been involved in. Eventually with the right qualifications and personal confidence i will move to a permanent position.

What would be you advise on my scenario? All thoughts appreciated. As i need to start planning my next move.

Thanks

Hi Daniel, you have posted this thread in the application to the Trainee section, this is a closed section where only you and staff can read this thread, is this your intent and are you asking for access or do you wish us to relocate your thread to the public area where members can read and reply?

Thread now moved.

You will need a 2365 Level 2 & 3 and then move onto a NVQ L3 2357 conversion and AM2, you can do the majority of this by distance learning although there are practical elements. For comparison I have paid £1600 for the level 2 and £1800 for the level 3. I think the 2357 conversion is about £1200. If you search on the net you will find someone offering these courses close to you. Try to avoid the five week zero to hero courses/providers as it is a lot to take in in that period of time. I will get shot down in flames for this but I would also avoid EAL certification and stick with City and Guilds as you have done thus far as I consider that are they are more widely known. Good luck.

Appreciate your input on this looking into the level 2 nvq now. That combined with volunteering experience I think will help. The bit I'm unsure about is the am2 seen it quite a bit what does the am2 cover and why is it important? Many thanks

Appreciate your input on this looking into the level 2 nvq now. That combined with volunteering experience I think will help. The bit I'm unsure about is the am2 seen it quite a bit what does the am2 cover and why is it important? Many thanks
dont bother with the nvq level2 no one requests it.

level 2 and 3 tech cert and nvq level3 + am2 is what they ask for

Reply to Next Step advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net