Discuss Nic Assessment questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
I'v picked up a couple CU changel that I intend to use for my assessment. The question is - i know I need to notify bc before work comenses but the plan would be to notify the work myself once assessment is complate. Also if I remove main fuse do you think this would be looked at negatively by the assessor ?

Main fuse removal, yes very negatively especially as it's NIC. You can notify up to 30 days from completion so if you assessment is within that time your good to go, assuming you pass. Good luck with it!

Why would you need to pull a DNO fuse during the assessment?

They are more interested in your cheque, tea and biscuits, insurances, tester and calibration ..... then the certs for the jobs and your knowledge of testing.
It was more about the level of concern they would show if I'd removed the fuse

It was more about the level of concern they would show if I'd removed the fuse

Don't worry about it.

The schemes have done ABSOLUTELY nothing to make any processes with the suppliers easier for sparks, so they have nothing to contribute to the subject.

Obviously if you were asked directly, you can confirm that the old board switch was off and the fuse was removed by somebody wearing suitable gloves...

I was told that the supplier is required to be engaged when removing fuse as it under their remit. However nobody does

So the supplier gives you a 3 hour window to come and remove the fuse and another 3 hour window to replace it. How the hells is that supposed to work for you? Either you cut corners or you are sitting around for them to return to refit it and seal it.

Its unacceptable.

Don't volunteer that information, whether you did or didn't remove the fuse and presumably cut the seal has no part in a assessment of your work

It seems to me he would care nothing about it,I can't see its any of his business whether the meter company has intact or broken seals, or whether a cut out fuse has been removed by a n other

If you are concerned about the fuse aspect you could always fit a Wylex rec2 isolator, and the assessor will probably assume the DNO fitted it. But I wouldn't worry about it too much mate.

I know we joke about the seal fairy , but in all honesty it is not uncommon up here to see wire seal gone and just a sticky tape seal left in place with multi DNA / DNO saliva on it.

I had a CU change on my most recent assessment, never mentioned the seal fairy visiting, they didnt care. All they want to see is your paperwork, you arent as daft as a lamp post and your test results pretty match align with whats on your test results schedule.
I also showed a CU change and partial rewire for my first DI assessment, I didn't notify building control prior to starting, worse case i would have used the firm i was working for to sign off.
In the event you didn't pass the assessment, and it seems very rare. then they would likely charge you for a second site visit. you could then notify building control and pay 10% on top which i think is standard. as out of time notification. like most people these days they want your money like the niceic!! prosecutions by building control for such things are as rare as unicorns!
once assessment is passed you can notify it yourself on the niceic portal. you are meant to notify within is it 28 or 30 days of the job. but that runs from date on the test results apparently. so date your test results a couple days before the assessment visit.
its a bit like chicken and egg, you cant notify as not in a scheme, but cant join scheme as youve no notifiable jobs, they know this and just play along so you can notify afterwards.

As for pulling fuses, its frowned upon, but its your own risk, if it goes badly wrong , you will likely not know much about it! only you can make the risk assessment on pulling one. but dont make a habit of it!

It is DNO OCPD and carrier,test and inspect,no certs or paperwork required.

It's in every Regs book,of every colour...it's just written in lemon juice.

Reply to Nic Assessment questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net