Discuss NIC how does it work? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

smudger1

Hi Guys
New boy to the forum and got some questions for you.
I ve got my 2330 qualification and 17th ed. so it's a signing off question to start you off with.
If i.m competent enough to do testing without the 2391 would NIC let me sign up with them?
Also how can you do jobs that need signing off if your not registered to do so?

Yes u can mate, aslong as you show you are competant at testing upon your assesment from the regional niceic inspector its fine. I see your point bout carrying works out to show them when your not registered.... Catch 22 aint it. Heres nic eic helpline no- 01582 531000

Try Elecsa, Napit or NICEIC for scheme membership.

If you need to sign off work and you're not registered then you'll have to deal with LABC's and pay through the nose.

What exactly do you mean by the term 'signing off'?
Do you mean signing a certificate stating that the work you have carried out complies with BS7671?
Or do you mean signing off work stating that the work complies with Building Regulations?
In the first instance, any time electrical work is conducted, a Certificate should be issued, and any competent electrician should be able to issue one.
In the second instane, there are two methods.
One is for the householder or their representative to pre-notify their local Building Control, pay the appropriate fee, arrange for the work to be carried out, arrange inspections by a Building Control Officer if necessary, and at the end of the work, arrange for the BCO to sign it off as complying with the Building Regulations.
The other method is for the householder to employ an electrician who is registered with a self certification/competent person scheme, who will be able to issue a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, through their scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc.).

a minor works cert should be issued, but building control shouldnt need to be notified unless the works is carried out in a special location.

Goldie here's another one for you. if i was to add two extra sockets to a ring circuit in a shop would that need signing off?
Again, what do you mean by signing off?
You should issue a MWEIC, and obviously sign the Certificate.
As it's a shop, Part P of the Building Regulations doesn't apply (unless the shop supply is shared with a domestic installation), so notification and a Certificate of Building Regulations compliance is not required.

Last edited by a moderator:
a minor works cert should be issued, but building control shouldnt need to be notified unless the works is carried out in a special location.
Building Control do not need to be notified, even if the work is carried out in a special location, unless the shop has a shared supply with a domestic installation.

Building Control do not need to be notified, even if the work is carried out in a special location, unless the shop has a shared supply with a domestic installation.
Yes, Many shops do share with domestic dwelling, Didnt want to confuse, and covering all bases

Reply to NIC how does it work? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net