Discuss NIC v NAPIT v ELECSA in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im looking to join a Scheme and was thinking NIC was the best and most Recognised but am being told there are a handful to deal with vey expensive with regards to fees

My question is what is Difference between them all and who are the best? NIC v NAPIT v ELECSA

Just really want to be able to sign off my own work.

I Was told from NIC that Part P is not a governing body and as a qualified Electrician your not required to Register to them as you already meet all their standards.

What Murdoch said, basically there is probably not much between them.

Hang around here long enough & you'll have people replying who think they are all the spawn of the devil.

I get this question a lot "Are you NIC" I was under the impression NIC was the only and main 1 until I seen posts on this forum.

I get this question a lot "Are you NIC" I was under the impression NIC was the only and main 1 until I seen posts on this forum.

"Fan of the Matrix" ?

I Was told from NIC that Part P is not a governing body
That'll be the IET then,they will take on new members as well

There are quite a few government recognised bodies that you can join so that you can self certify notifiable work.

I only do domestic work and have never been asked 'which' scheme I am with, and only perhaps twice been asked if I am a member of a scheme.

Unless you are planning to perhaps do lots of work for a company that you know stipulates NICEIC then I see absolutely no point in feeling they are your only option. I am with Stroma, I pay £288 p/year as opposed to the £4-500 with all the other schemes.

Very funny and helpful too! ....... KMN

If you want to understand the formalities of the structure of this industry, be sure when you refer to "governing bodies" that you understand what it is you are saying

Trade organisations and governing bodies are very different creatures
Frst find out who or what these schemes represent then you will be better placed to ask of them

I was simply repeating what I was told from someone from the NIC that was all, and as im not very experienced(well not 10+ Years) and still young I was enquiring about doing Part P also & that was when they told me it is pointless thing to do as its not recognised and that im already of that standard.

Years ago before Part P had become mandatory, an official accredited Niceic centre started up in Coventry.
I went there to inquire , as knew it was coming into force , he suggested I do their 5 day domestic installer course, as hadn’t done much sparking for a couple of years as had been working as an Electric Door engineer for Ingersoll Rand.

So like a fool signed up @£1000 for 5 days.
Course lasted 4, and when it came to testing, felt reasonably confident as had passed my 2391 theory years earlier and had practiced with my own tester.
When it came to ring main he told you to link r1/r2 at Board and test r1/r2 with ohms meter, same as radial circuit.
Well I came away that day honestly thinking I didn’t have a clue of testing, and really worried I had done it wrong for years.
Seriously messed my head up, so went to see my avionics friend, and he basically looked at my books and said the man is talking total nonsense.
Took above books next day to confront Niceic accredited teacher and he said ‘your interpretation of the text is wrong’
More worryingly the other guys there totally believed (obviously) what he said, how I ask would they have ever had a lower enough Zs to pass any ring main off? – And how many had gone through the door before me?
So that was my first foray with the Niceic. (And my last I thought!)
BUT, any client that has asked me up to now, about part p, quotes and knows the Niceic livery above any other, and I think for new clients, it would- when put on your ads, letterheads more likely to get you more work (or at least your foot in the door).
Much as I loathe to, for that reason alone I will probably end up with them.

I'm not saying niceic are the best cos to me there all the same but in my experience and talking to other sparks you seem to get more work if your niceic. Think more customers relate to them more than others but eh that's only my opinion others might disagree

Reply to NIC v NAPIT v ELECSA in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock