Discuss Nice people at DNO Scottish Southern Electric in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brendan976

Hi

Today I got out my Megger 1730 that has recently repaired and was trying out the R1+R2 function. I know what the values of all the circuits are in my house as I rewired it last year. I completed a ze test and it came back at 2.97 ohms, bearing in mind this is a tns supply and the readings were 0.29 ohms last year. None of my neighbours were in so I could not confirm if the MFT was faulty by testing others premises.

So I rang Megger Tech support who by the way were very helpful and we talk through various tests and come to the agreement that it needs to be returned to Megger. Big moan by me how crap this MFT is, time now to eat humble pie, I tested several neighbours houses tonight. My MFT is fine, the Ze on my premises is now crap and so is one of my neighbours premises, I guess the nice people digging up the road have nicked the earth as the DNO came out the same day and confirmed my findings, they are now going to dig up the road.

I must ring up Megger tomorrow and say thanks to the Tech support as they were going to send me a temporary MFT while they repaired mine. I did say I would check other installations tonight to confirm if it was my MFT was defective or my earthing arrangements.

The moral of this story is I wont be using the R1 R2 feature on this MFT

Ben

Yep good for you at least your are honest enough to admit you made a mistake and you did the right thing to reference the meter on another installation thing is you will be seeing a lot more of this with earths going astray or finding out the earth in a property is borrowed from next door via the gas or water pipes

Hi

Today I got out my Megger 1730 that has recently repaired and was trying out the R1+R2 function. I know what the values of all the circuits are in my house as I rewired it last year. I completed a ze test and it came back at 2.97 ohms, bearing in mind this is a tns supply and the readings were 0.29 ohms last year. None of my neighbours were in so I could not confirm if the MFT was faulty by testing others premises.

So I rang Megger Tech support who by the way were very helpful and we talk through various tests and come to the agreement that it needs to be returned to Megger. Big moan by me how crap this MFT is, time now to eat humble pie, I tested several neighbours houses tonight. My MFT is fine, the Ze on my premises is now crap and so is one of my neighbours premises, I guess the nice people digging up the road have nicked the earth as the DNO came out the same day and confirmed my findings, they are now going to dig up the road.

I must ring up Megger tomorrow and say thanks to the Tech support as they were going to send me a temporary MFT while they repaired mine. I did say I would check other installations tonight to confirm if it was my MFT was defective or my earthing arrangements.

The moral of this story is I wont be using the R1 R2 feature on this MFT

Ben

But didn't you say that the MFT was correct?

I wonder if Megger read these post does not say a lot about the 1700 series plus the carry case is pants I know as I have the 1553 in a Fluke carry case

I wonder if Megger read these post does not say a lot about the 1700 series plus the carry case is pants I know as I have the 1553 in a Fluke carry case

If anyone from Megger did read these posts, I think I would have had an apology for all the grief I had (and maybe a new set of leads :) ). As I have had neither, I will assume that they aren't really interested.

If anyone from Megger did read these posts, I think I would have had an apology for all the grief I had (and maybe a new set of leads :) ). As I have had neither, I will assume that they aren't really interested.

I pulled one of the leads apart trying to change a probe for a croc clip lol. I have posted a few times about the other faults with this tester, certainly wouldn't buy one with my own money!

Reply to Nice people at DNO Scottish Southern Electric in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net