Discuss Nice soft bendy tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Why cant I get the same pliable cable for meter tails that SSE uses the stuff I get is as stiff as rebar whereas theirs is really bendy and easy to form if any one knows why this is let me know
P

No double insulated, I may hijack one of the SSE guys in the roll shop this week and get the low down on this, they have fitted a couple of isolators for me during PME checks which involved changing the cut outs and fitted blue over blue and brown over brown cables

Pretty sure the meter tails are only single insulated that’s why there so pliable. Where’s as tails are double insulated, quit being soft and grunt through it.
The tails aren't double insulated the cable has a PVC insulation layer and a PVC Mechanical Protection Sheath

with 25mm tails, i pull them up into the CU a few inches extra, strip the ends about 1",then bend ends over when I've got them in a bit of free space. trim ends to get rid of the unequal strands due to bending, then pull down so the ends drop int the main switch terminals. sometimes i even manage to get them thee right way round. :D.

is the ccc of 19 strand any higher than 7 strand?

Manufactures often give a slightly higher current capacity spec for same CSA if the wire is finer strands but it's usually only a few of percent higher. Sometimes finer stranded also has a smaller bend radius allowed, depends on individual manufacturers though.

The difference is the number of strands. 16, 25 and 35mm insulated and sheathed tails are available in both 7 strand and 19 strand versions. My local wholesaler started stocking the 19 strand a couple of years ago and it is much better to work with than the more solid 7 strand.

Be very careful with these EDF were refusing to connect these to their meters last year.
I had a nightmare last year in a communial intake cupboard ended up having to replace about 30 meters of tails because EDF wouldn't connect to the 19 strand tails.

They are technically considered the same as the 7 stranded tails, but EDF were not prepaired to connect them to their meters until they had some kind of approval from their meter manufacturers.
Hopefully its sorted now but dont want anyone to get caught out like i did.

IMAG0771.jpg

20180625_204336.jpg

IMAG0678.jpg

Last edited:
The tails aren't double insulated the cable has a PVC insulation layer and a PVC Mechanical Protection Sheath

Alright ardvark, it has two layers of insulation covering the conductor as in 'double layer' of insulation. I think you got my point i was trying to make..

Reply to Nice soft bendy tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net