NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC 1st site assessment

Discuss NICEIC 1st site assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

simonatlondon

Hi guys,

I've got my 1st site assessment next week. Could anyone please give some tips or advice on what they are watching out for.

I know they interpret some of the regs in their own way, so I'd just like to make sure im ready.

Thanks and much appreciated.

keep us posted and good luck! ive submitted my 2 jobs,nic again.... a twin socket spur off existing ring and an additional ring in a loft conversion.prob be after christmas now.

HI simonatlondon I've had four now! One was with the inspector being inspected by his gaffer!!!! I was bricking it. But no worries all went well. I still get nervous but try to relax they know how your feeling and are generally pretty cool. The one I had two years ago was with a gut that a couple of mates had met and they said he was a right ba@#'!d. When he came i invited him in sat him down offered him a cuppa to which he looked amazed and he was a ----- cat. So try to chill and i'm sure all will be well. Good luck mate.

I had my domestic installer assesmentabout two months ago, flew through it, forget what you hear; they are not out to get you. The inspector i had came late, i offered him a cuppa and we had a chat, he was very interested in how my business was going, what jobs i was doing etc

As for the assesment he asked me to test Ze at the cu, how to test a ring main and what results to expect. At my minor job he asked me to explain how i would test the circuit and record the results, don't forget make sure the main bonding is in place, first thing he asked for, and very important make sure all the work he is assessing complies 100% with the regs you did it to ie 16th or 17th.

In all i found him very freindly and very helpful, he sounded like he really wanted me to succeed.

Good luck with it, stay calm and remember you are a competent electrician, just make sure you let him know that.

Thanks for your kind and positive words mr hunter. Cup of tea definatley coming his way, 1 or 2 sugars sir?

Hi,

just had mine last week, the inspector was a nice bloke, all went okay - on the first job we went through what was basically a full test and inspection - was looking for ability to test, plus knowledge of what the results should be to be acceptable (ie what trip times for RCD's should be to be acceptable, minimum insulation resisitance thats acceptable, checking if the level of earth fault loop impedance/fault current is acceptable given the protective device on the circuit & where to look it up in OSG, etc). Checked wiring behind a couple of sockets and a switch, then second site was purely inspecting cable routing, choice of protective devices, bonding, etc without any testing.
It's probably hard not to be slightly nervous at first on the first one (I was) but as everyone else is saying, and as i found out, they are not out to get you..

I was asked about max Zs for the ring circuit which I used, for my spur socket ( minor works ).

He asked me to do a direct Zs test through that spur socket. Showed all the paperwork to him, regs, moeawr '89 etc etc.

Then went to the major works.

This was a consumer unit change, but the different factor here was that the lighting circuits had no cpc. He checked all light fittings and accessories were class II. He checked I had the correct labels and warning notices on the consumer unit, he asked me to do Ze and PFC's tests. Asked a few disconnention times on RCD's. And you should use the regs book infront of them. It shows you know how to use the big red book. Asked how to do ring circuit continuity test.

He made me feel very relaxed and he was easy to give some pointers and advice. I also had loads of questions about the different schemes.

Good luck.

He also very thouroughly checked the bonding in both properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to NICEIC 1st site assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock