Discuss NICEIC - abuse of 0870 numbers in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I didn't know that . my argument is with the banks everything starts 08 they must make a fortune from us! When you do want to make a complaint they put you through instead of giving you a direct dial number the crafty so and so's
Also some companies have 08 numbers but always normal numbers for sales
Hewlett-Packard used to have a technical number that was about a pound a minute ( don't know if they still do that )

I bank with the co-op. I can call the local branch (on a local landline number) and they deal with everything in branch.
Must say after years with barclays and their dreadful telephone banking (never again) its a breath of fresh air!

I had to cancel my van insurance the other month and go with another company. 48 min phone call cost me £24!!!! Well that is the clucking chicken on the end of the line hourly wage paid for + a company profit!!!

I had to cancel my van insurance the other month and go with another company. 48 min phone call cost me £24!!!! Well that is the clucking chicken on the end of the line hourly wage paid for + a company profit!!!

If that call was after the 13th June - you should send them the bill.

My guessing is that most people don't know about this change and is partly the reason I thought I'd start this thread to spread the word

Murdoch, can you expand on that... About sending them the bill.

Murdoch, can you expand on that... About sending them the bill.

"From 13th June 2014, it will be a legal requirement that these numbers are no longer provided for customer helplines. They must be switched to an 01, 02 or 03 number".

So if Paul M called them after the 13th June, via a 0870 number he should send the bill from his mobile - simples. He rang to cancel his policy and therefore rang a customer helpline.

While in Cyprus recently i had the need to call numerous parties eg, banks insurance companies, local authorities etc, etc,..... all were on free-phone 0800 numbers!! I see ''Rip Off Britain'' is still living up to it's reputation!! lol!!

recently i had to phone hmrc. think it was 0845. will this apply to them as well?

did that with hmrc and when i dialled the 01 number i was given, hmrc spouted a recorded message saying that the mumber was only for overseas call and i should redial on 0845.........

"From 13th June 2014, it will be a legal requirement that these numbers are no longer provided for customer helplines. They must be switched to an 01, 02 or 03 number".

So if Paul M called them after the 13th June, via a 0870 number he should send the bill from his mobile - simples. He rang to cancel his policy and therefore rang a customer helpline.

It was just after I think, I'll look into it over the weekend. If I get a refund I'll send you a nice little present Murdoch.

did that with hmrc and when i dialled the 01 number i was given, hmrc spouted a recorded message saying that the mumber was only for overseas call and i should redial on 0845.........

Some while ago (18 month-ish), I had a conversation with HMRC about phone numbers, and why couldn't I used the one given for people overseas. They said they were specifically putting in technology to detect if the call originated from the UK, and intercept it! It can't be right that we have government bodies doing things like that.

what really pi$$es me off is that as soon as the phone is answered by a machine and you get the stupid recorded message, you're paying for the call till someone answers , maybe 30 minutes later.

Yes I phoned a number then had 1 of 7 choices so press button 5 now have three choices press 2 now have 2 choices ,they must do it to make money

what really pi$$es me off is that as soon as the phone is answered by a machine and you get the stupid recorded message, you're paying for the call till someone answers , maybe 30 minutes later.

Precisely. Just keep an eye on how many sales numbers are 0870 these days. Outrageous

shame the NICEIC Engineer hasn't responded as yet

Reply to NICEIC - abuse of 0870 numbers in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net