Discuss NICEIC and ELECSA reject third party inspection scheme.... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The reason the DCLG wanted this in the first place was also about money, in saving LAs money by not having to do the inspections and tests theselves.
Most LABCs/BIs did not have enough sparks to do this, and had to pay for 3rd party electricians to come in and do it for them

One wonders why DCLG did not just let the LAs pass the actual costs onto the homeowner through more realistic charges?

One wonders why DCLG did not just let the LAs pass the actual costs onto the homeowner through more realistic charges?
They sort of did try, by charging up to £500 + Vat (depending on LA), but as ever where bloated LAs are concerned it probably cost more in admin time/charges, so the premise behind the DCLG proposal was to look for cheaper options, ie. by shifting the whole lot on to us via the scams.

TBH, it is probably more trouble than it is worth for us, we would have to see what the DIYer/home owner was proposing to do first, then see it at first fix, second fix and then test it, chances are it would be cheaper to just do the job and let the DIYer/homeowner work alongside doing the labouring.

BC are/were not held to the same degree as responsibillty and stringent standards as we would be put under for effectively doing the same function, aka 'the blame game' should the $hit ever hit the fan.

Maybe there will be a new model form in the 18th edition to cover this. A cross between a EIC and a EICR form.....and probably 10 pages long....

I recently lost a £3000 job because I wouldn't sign off someone else's first fix....was a bit gutted.....until a week later I was asked to go ahead regardless....he probably couldn't find someone who would sign it off I guess so he came back to me.

If I could legally have signed it off I probably would have after a bl00dy good check of everything obviously, as ultimately it's nearly a months work I nearly lost.

The only way to do that is to make it illegal to work on electrical installations unless you are registered with a scheme of some sort otherwise what happens when a unregistered electrician does some work and not register it

You missed the most important bit!
Insert...'time served and'...above, before registered.

Boydy

Agree with the general consensus,,, but just finished a bar re-fit in toon, rough as, in my opinion. Lots of loose hanging connector block, bugger all testing, no sign of LABC. Oh yes, and all "time sWerved" Boydy. (No offence to your good self). BTW I was agency prostitute for second fix before handover.

Agree with the general consensus,,, but just finished a bar re-fit in toon, rough as, in my opinion. Lots of loose hanging connector block, bugger all testing, no sign of LABC. Oh yes, and all "time sWerved" Boydy. (No offence to your good self). BTW I was agency prostitute for second fix before handover.

Agree with you completely, 'Time served' only proves that you SHOULD know what the hell you are doing, not that you'll actually do it that way. Judging by some of the supposed TS work I've come across, they should be 'Serving Time' instead. LOL

Agree with you completely, 'Time served' only proves that you SHOULD know what the hell you are doing, not that you'll actually do it that way. Judging by some of the supposed TS work I've come across, they should be 'Serving Time' instead. LOL

The difference being, the time served electrician will ''KNOW'' he's done some rough old work, whereas a electrical trainee or the 17 day Whizz Kid would far too often, not even be aware!! lol!!

There has always been a rough element within the electrical industry, the same as any other trade based industry. Mainly perpetrated by rough companies that will generally produce rough apprentices coming out of their time.

Reply to NICEIC and ELECSA reject third party inspection scheme.... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net