Discuss Niceic Defined Approval for inspection and testing only in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is in the same position as myself with regard to NICEIC defined approval.

I am based in northern Ireland and I only wish to undertake in initial verification and periodic inspections.

Has anyone got experience in the assessment process for this scope?

Cheers
Jonny

Some years ago i was associated with a company that did inspection and test only.
The niceic wouldnt take them on as they didnt install anything.
Maybe its different now? (£££)

Boydy

Some years ago i was associated with a company that did inspection and test only.
The niceic wouldnt take them on as they didnt install anything.
Maybe its different now? (£££)

Boydy
Still think that is the case M8, I mean they couldn't send an engineer around could they to inspect you are complying with the regs if you don't install.

I know that they do permit it. Presumably the assessment centres around inspection and testing work only. Napit is pointless in the north of Ireland - no-one has heard of it and I think there is only one member.

I was at Elex yesterday,various representatives from the schemes were falling over each other to try and explain how they will "incorporate" the t&i into their fees,sorry,i mean rules...two gentlemen from one large popular scheme,didn't agree on how it should be set up,but both said it would probably require paying for...could have knocked me down with a feather,LOL

Apologies for going off track but are there any disadvantages/advantages to joining any of the schemes run by various companies e.g. NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA

No one has pointed out to that you do not repeat not need to be, or have to be, a member of any scheme to do testing and inspection!

you need insurance (especially public indemnity), you need to be competent, you need calibrated equipment.

Thats it

Last edited by a moderator:
No one has pointed out to that you do not repeat not need to be, or have to be, a member of any scheme to do testing and inspection!

you need insurance (especially public indemnity), you need to be competant, you need calibrated equipment.

Thats it
Very true my friend, however we are all worn out because we have mentioned it 2,000,000 times now to the Electrical Trainee here lol

Well at least on a NAPIT registered firm everyone is assessed unlike the flawed NICEIC QS system which assess one and the others who actually carry the work out go unchecked.
what even the tea lady? regarding Crapit sorry Napit, I know of at least 2 firms who have not had an inspection in 2 years, very professional then, might as well just not bother, totally pointless really lol

Although there is no requirement as you have pointed out, some local councils in my area will not give you any work unless you are a member of one of these schemes. I have recently been looking in to Constructionline as well because that is also a prerequisite to being awarded any work and in order to register with them you need to again be a member of one of these bodies.

Although there is no requirement as you have pointed out, some local councils in my area will not give you any work unless you are a member of one of these schemes. I have recently been looking in to Constructionline as well because that is also a prerequisite to being awarded any work and in order to register with them you need to again be a member of one of these bodies.

Depends what work you are looking for, but don't doubt what you are saying. I would venture to suggest there is some silly nonsense going on there!

Reply to Niceic Defined Approval for inspection and testing only in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net