Discuss Niceic domestic installer assesment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

p11jor

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could clear this up for me, I have a assesment due on 9th June, was going to use my garage as one of my assessments, it has a brick shed attached to it also so my plan was ......

Run t+e from main dis board from a 32amp mcb to a garage consumer 63amp rcd protected, then from that run a radial/ring for a socket circuit, say four or 5 sockets (probs do a ring to show him that I can test con on ring final) although if you have a testing qual I believe they don't ask to do many tests? Is this correct? .... Then I will run a lighting circuit from the garage board, only two light fittings though one in garage one in shed, may make them two way switching to prove competence.

Does this sound ok for one of my assesment jobs? The other will probly be a dis board.

Also on this would you run a new cable from oringinal dis board to the new garage one to save or would the cabling for the new circuits from the new garage consumer be ok? At present the original cable just goes into a junction box and....well you can imagine the rest....goes off here there and everywhere!!

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Phil

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could clear this up for me, I have a assesment due on 9th June, was going to use my garage as one of my assessments, it has a brick shed attached to it also so my plan was ......

Run t+e from main dis board from a 32amp mcb to a garage consumer 63amp rcd protected, then from that run a radial/ring for a socket circuit, say four or 5 sockets (probs do a ring to show him that I can test con on ring final) although if you have a testing qual I believe they don't ask to do many tests? Is this correct? .... Then I will run a lighting circuit from the garage board, only two light fittings though one in garage one in shed, may make them two way switching to prove competence.

Does this sound ok for one of my assesment jobs? The other will probly be a dis board.

Also on this would you run a new cable from oringinal dis board to the new garage one to save or would the cabling for the new circuits from the new garage consumer be ok? At present the original cable just goes into a junction box and....well you can imagine the rest....goes off here there and everywhere!!

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Phil

1 When you say run T+E I'm assuming your running new. If this is buried and contravenes regulation 522.6.6 then it will have to be RCD protected. Is that MCB, RCD protected in your main CU.

2.I'm assuming this is an attached garage, if it is then I would at the house CU fit a 32amp 30mA RCBO for the T+E sub main and in your garage just fit a normal CU with double pole switch and MCB's.

3. If it's detached then you will possibly need to use a SWA or MICC for your sub main to the garage. In that case the MCB at the house CU is fine and then the use of RCD/RCBO's in the garage for additional protection.

I'm sorry to say that I could not quite graps what your asking in the last paragraph

If its an attached garage, 2.5mm for the distribution circuit is o.k if its supplying a 16a radial and a 6 amp lighting circuit. Protected by a 30 amp or 32 amp mcb at the original DB,

New consumer unit should be a 2 way board or 4 way protek board is what I used last time with 63amp rcd main switch.

If the garage is de-tached u need to use SWA in my opinion.

Hi there the garage is dettached from the house, there is a swa supply to it at present with a 16amp mcb protected by a 63anp 30ma rcd.....I was just hoping that I could change the mcb for a 32amp mcb, pick up on the current supply for the garage consumer and run my circuits from that?

Hi there the garage is dettached from the house, there is a swa supply to it at present with a 16amp mcb protected by a 63anp 30ma rcd.....I was just hoping that I could change the mcb for a 32amp mcb, pick up on the current supply for the garage consumer and run my circuits from that?

You can depending on the size of the SWA. Do you know what size it is? Don't think a 2.5m SWA would be sufficient for a lighting circuit and ring at 32amp.

Please all ignore that last paragraph, I am on my phone, touchy screen one and had deleted and edited some stuff on it.....it dosnt make a work of sence!! Thanks for help!

You should not really want to have a supply to a detached garage protected by the RCD in the house, it is not a good design really. If you have a fault in the Garage it will take all the house circuits on the RCD, and vice versa you could be in the garage and have to come back into a dark house to reset things.

I would have the SWA on a non RCD protected circuit, unless of course your house is TT, then you may have to think about a 100mA S type RCD for the SWA to give you discrimination.

4mm it is, at the moment it's a dogs dinner, jbs all over the show, just thought it would be a good opportunity to sort it out, ! I am thinking micc 4mm now though and just change the lot?

Hi there that's the problem at present, we are not tt, but this wouldn't be counted as a special circuit would it? And also I wouldn't be able to have the cable more than 50mm buried?

The circuit design of the garage is dependent on the swa csa and readings. Once you have these measurements you can then start thinking about what circuits at what protection to provide.

Infact if I changed the bus bar and moved the mcbs around so my garage supply is on the end not rcd protected then maybe I could go with the rcbo that someone had suggested

4mm it is, at the moment it's a dogs dinner, jbs all over the show, just thought it would be a good opportunity to sort it out, ! I am thinking micc 4mm now though and just change the lot?

Right 4mm SWA is great for this. At orginal DB in house a 32 amp breaker...non RCD side would be best as having 2 RCD's in series will cause problems on RCD tests.

4mm SWA into your CU. Personally I'd replace your old one and start from scratch. Protek 4 way board is good. This has 63amp rcd main switch already incorparated. If you already have a dual rcd board in your home DB do not put an RCD in the garage just have a main switch.

Then 16/20 amp radial and 6 amp ligthting circuit....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's getting worse this....the main board had a rcd as it's main isolation.......

Think a different job for my assessment It would be cheaper to get lbac to each job!!

It's getting worse this....the main board had a rcd as it's main isolation.......

Think a different job for my assessment It would be cheaper to get lbac to each job!!

This can be done if you do it like I've described here...

32amp MCB at house DB
4mm SWA to new CU
New CU is not protected by RCD just main switch.
16/20amp MCB for radial
6 amp for lights

Keep it simple....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would but the cupboard barely fits the current cu in it, it would no way fit a dual rcd board one if I was doing a board swap!

I do have the option of showing him a board change and new shower circuit but the thing is it is 25minute drive away from my first installation so it would take up a chunk of time I would of liked to be assessed on to take advice on anything they may puck up on.

Reply to Niceic domestic installer assesment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net