Discuss Niceic domestic installer assesment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

p11jor

Hi all

What should I expect in my assesment, ? What will they ask me?

I have 2392 will they make me carry out all tests?

Does anyone have a example of what would cause a revisit?

Getting abit nervous now!

Hi, just remember safe isolation and do things slowly and methodically so you dont make a silly mistake. If you have your 2392 then you will be fine. They will ask some questions on testing and ask you to show them how you do it. I had to test for continuity on my ring main. make sure you have certificates that are up together. Also they may ask about things like safe zones and drilling in joists, as long as you know where do find the relevant stuff in the regs or on site guide you should be fine. dont be afraid to ask them to wait while you find the answer to a question in the book, they will be happy with waiting and it saves blurting out the first thing that comes into your head. Good luck.

The big ticket and fundamental stuff are always good questions that they will ask such as Ze and how you would measure it. R1 + R2 for radial circuits and how you measure R1 + R2 for RFC circuits. Zones in bathroom and minimum IP rating in zone 1 for light fixtures and the distance from zone 1 for exclusion for 13a socket. They should ask you to conduct a test but not everything if you have presented a major work for assessment such as a CU change. If you have not got your 17th edition wiring regs then you could be asked extensive questions to make sure you have sufficient knowledge. They should however have given you an indication of the length of time for the assessment and maybe areas and topics that will be covered as a general guide. Good luck and let us know once you are on the other side.

Guys thankyou so much, appreciate the tips, I do hold the 17th edition also, but only a young lad so everything is still a learning curve for me. Once again thankyou

I too am due to be inspected by the NIC. If I am likely to be asked to conduct a dead
test I will have to conduct a safe isolation, will I have to use a
proving unit for the test? And is there anything else I need to worry about? Thanks Ben

Hi benjy, good luck for assessment, and no proving unit is needed, just pop you testers on the incoming L/N and then on the outgoing (this is on main switch/rcd if using as main switch) then switch off, go to the L/N of the outgoing (should be dead)!! Then prove your testers are working by going back to the incoming on the switch, jobs a gooden.

Hi all

What should I expect in my assesment, ?

A pass ! good responces also follow the links at the bottom of the page and dont panic ! i've just passed my 3rd yearly periodic with NIC and just before we all get nervous it's common ! the guys are very friendly and wont try and catch you out ! they want you to pass anyway ! before you know it your yearly assessment will be around and your get sick of them ! hassle hassle hassle !
Best of luck ! just relax ! one think they could fail you on is not having any buscuits ! here's your 1st congratulations on passing !

Hi benjy, good luck for assessment, and no proving unit is needed, just pop you testers on the incoming L/N and then on the outgoing (this is on main switch/rcd if using as main switch) then switch off, go to the L/N of the outgoing (should be dead)!! Then prove your testers are working by going back to the incoming on the switch, jobs a gooden.

I thought it is considered bad practice, if not unsafe, to remove a consumer unit cover without having switched off the main switch??

Cheers

Yes but the incoming side will still be energised (unless its an inline switch in the tails)...........

Glenn, I undertsand that, what I'm saying is that you need to remove the CU cover in order to gain access to the incoming side, in the first place.

Maybe p11jor saying...

just pop you testers on the incoming L/N and then on the outgoing (this is on main switch/rcd if using as main switch) then switch off

made me think the cover had been removed when the board was still live :skull:

Personally, I think that having the correct equipment is part of coming across in a professional manner, and also doing the job the way it was meant to be done. Owning a proving device is a natural extension of that, and I bought mine at the same time as I bought my tester. They are siamese twins as far as I'm concerned :rockon2:

Cheers

hi ,passed mine three weeks ago, make sure you know rcd tripping time ,he nearly failed me on rcd,if he aske how many test on rcd ,answer is three 1/2x 1x and 5x this of course at 0 & 180 degree

Reply to Niceic domestic installer assesment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock