Discuss NICEIC/ELECSA The 18th at the Cinema in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There ha s been some criticism , mostly some gut reactions to how much of a time waste it was, true it was a waste of time, in the format it was presented in.
Far to much padding in the guise of the Presenters being late, and their eventual arrival at the venue.
Also needless history reminders of past Electrical icon, Faraday, followed by again pointless acting Cameos from Tony Cable and the Guy who played Faraday.
The important issues of the 18th were glossed over by these time wasting exercises, the whole thing lasted 3 hours, I would guess at least 1 hour plus was taken up by these pointless distractions.
Nobody likes to sit through technical discussions, it's a fact of life, no getting away from it, personally I would have willingly listened to facts presented properly, which would have avoided many hard working Sparks taking 3 hours out their buy schedules, watching and listening to historical drivel, which to be honest was of no interest to the majority of attendees, the chap sat next to me was asleep after about 15 to 20 minutes, having to be woken up for the tea/coffee break, lots of Guys mentioned these failings in the break periods.

Forgetting that it took three hours it did hit the point in outlining the changes, however no one at NICEIC had heard of the TED talks and the vast majority was simply chuff, it could have all been covered in about three 18 minute chunks and put online. The popcorn was good though!:)

Agreed, who on earth thought those "sketches" were a good idea?!! Did they realise most attending were over the age of 10? (Apart from that little kid... again I've no idea of the relevance of that... it was all just a bit awkward)

Didn't think it would be long until people started to rant about this. Just me that thought it was useful then? I think it's always easy to be negative and criticise in an unconstructive manner - thats the essence of the beast. Hey, its the NICEIC we have to beat them down dont we!

Yeah the start with Darren was a bit cringy but I thought the major changes were well explained and it was good to see the use of 'industry experts/insiders/big-wigs' (guess some people will rant about that comment too) be asked to explain and comment on various technical aspects. Lets face it, the regs will always be a dry (boring?) subject so by interjecting it with other material - Faraday et al made it more interesting and avoided the zoning out syndrome for me.

I'm not near to a cinema venue so, on the flip side if it had been any less time-wise I couldn't have justified the travel time, so for me half a day was fine. Next month I have the NICEIC roadshow in my 'area' so I guess more detail will be discussed then.

I have only just discovered it was an NICEIC effort, had no idea never really looked into it.

Got to agree with the beginning Darren on time thing waste of time.
They have to include Tony Cable somehow.
Why did they have to pay for a BBC presenter who did not know really what he was presenting
Faraday time filling would have been interesting on the history channel.
The Emma Clancy and that lad what was all that about will his dad now being fined for taking his lad out of school?
Two hours with a small break would have been better.
The content of what we went there for was glossed over
Should have got John Ward to present it.

Got to agree with the beginning Darren on time thing waste of time.
They have to include Tony Cable somehow.
Why did they have to pay for a BBC presenter who did not know really what he was presenting
Faraday time filling would have been interesting on the history channel.
The Emma Clancy and that lad what was all that about will his dad now being fined for taking his lad out of school?
Two hours with a small break would have been better.
The content of what we went there for was glossed over
Should have got John Ward to present it.
Or Chris Kircher think that's how he spell's his name now I could listen to him for hours. JW is good but he can be a bit flippant, they both have their faults, but hey anything is better than DS or the other NICEIC guys.

Last edited:
Or Chris Kircher think that's how he spell's his name now I could listen to him for hours. JW is good but he can be a bit flippant, they both have their faults, but hey anything is better than DS or the other NICEIC guys.
I think C.K. and JW would have presented it in a more practical way of what the regulations meant in practice.

Do you mean Christopher Kitcher great guy. He was the lecturer for my PV course some years ago does loads of youtube videos, worth watching. However he did blow two MFT's while showing us stuff which was interesting luckily he said he got his stuff for free so happy to show us the dangers of PV installation. Learnt loads thanks Chris.

I have mixed feelings about it.

I went with the college so didn't cost anything and I was actually paid still. If I had to take time away from work then I would have been disappointed.

The intro was cringy and unnecessary. The little kid thing was just odd and didn't really have relevance to an event based on the new wiring regs. Maybe that woukd have been better at a different event.

The information on the actual regs wasn't too bad but seemed skimmed over and rushed. I left with more knowledge but also more questions.

Talking of questions, they should have featured tweeted questions not pictures. That would have been more useful.

Was surprised to see so many people attend. Cinema was rammed

I think that it’s a failing with most documentary type films or programs.
The information provided by a 30 min film cloud be provided in a couple of paragraphs if written.

Reply to NICEIC/ELECSA The 18th at the Cinema in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net