Discuss Niceic initial assessment- plastic water main/bonding in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all

am planning on joining niceic as after a few years of working on social housing with my firm- i am brain dead- and want to start doing my own thing gradually.

i am aware you need two jobs for your niceic assessment- one being 'major' -i will be using a future kitchen re-wire. This will need a EIC- but obviously not in the position to notify this work untill i pass the niceic assment- is my only way about going by this through building control? Or if i had a willing niceic registered spark (my current supervisor at my firm) to issue a EIC as third party? Please advise

also then for the 2nd job- minor job
i was going to use a radial circuit i install at my parents house
same question as above regarding how i go about the EIC.

also the gas is bonding in 10mm
but i have a incoming plastic water main (under the kitchen unit kick board)
and then goes off from stop cock in plastic too- then gets lost in floor.
all floors are tiled/laminated- so can't find where it changes from plastic to copper to bond there- and even if i could- routing that cable there is impossible with tiles etc.

would niceic be checking bonding arrangments on my minor job or just my circuit. And if he does- which im guessing he will!- where do i stand?

supp bond under boiler and with gas already being bonded- will he be happy?

cheers for advise guys

Morning all

am planning on joining niceic as after a few years of working on social housing with my firm- i am brain dead- and want to start doing my own thing gradually.

i am aware you need two jobs for your niceic assessment- one being 'major' -i will be using a future kitchen re-wire. This will need a EIC- but obviously not in the position to notify this work untill i pass the niceic assment- is my only way about going by this through building control? Or if i had a willing niceic registered spark (my current supervisor at my firm) to issue a EIC as third party? Please advise

also then for the 2nd job- minor job
i was going to use a radial circuit i install at my parents house
same question as above regarding how i go about the EIC.

also the gas is bonding in 10mm
but i have a incoming plastic water main (under the kitchen unit kick board)
and then goes off from stop cock in plastic too- then gets lost in floor.
all floors are tiled/laminated- so can't find where it changes from plastic to copper to bond there- and even if i could- routing that cable there is impossible with tiles etc.

would niceic be checking bonding arrangments on my minor job or just my circuit. And if he does- which im guessing he will!- where do i stand?

supp bond under boiler and with gas already being bonded- will he be happy?

cheers for advise guys

If the water is plastic coming in it's not going to be extraneous and especially as it's plastic on the consumers side as well.

i know this but am aware of how shirty these assessors can be- guessing i was hoping that someone on here was in same boat for their assessment

I don't understand tbh. The water is plastic throughout its entirety apart from probably copper tails for sinks, baths, boiler, etc. which in turn means it won't be extraneous, if it's not extraneous it doesn't need bonding. The assessor will know this.....

had a copper pipe going to a Washine Machine, with a socket near by.
so i changed it for a plastic one, only 30cm
other wise i would of had to run bonding all the 7m about

If you have a look at 4.5 OSG (page 41 green version, not sure if the advice has been amended in A3 version), it states there is no requirement to main bond incoming services if there are plastic, gas or water. However, it goes on to say 'where there is a plastic incoming service and a metal installation within the premise, main bonding is recommended unless it has been confirmed that any metal pipework within the building is not introducing earth potential (see 4.3)'. So it really depends on the pipework install in your property. If it was nice and simple, plastic incoming and then copper from there on in it is 'recommended' to bond it. If there any is metallic pipework and re-emerges from a floor (i.e. central heating copper pipes in concrete screed), and there is any doubt over it's continuity, then that should be bonded. Worse thing they ever did to invent plastic pipes!

If you have a look at 4.5 OSG (page 41 green version, not sure if the advice has been amended in A3 version), it states there is no requirement to main bond incoming services if there are plastic, gas or water. However, it goes on to say 'where there is a plastic incoming service and a metal installation within the premise, main bonding is recommended unless it has been confirmed that any metal pipework within the building is not introducing earth potential (see 4.3)'. So it really depends on the pipework install in your property. If it was nice and simple, plastic incoming and then copper from there on in it is 'recommended' to bond it. If there any is metallic pipework and re-emerges from a floor (i.e. central heating copper pipes in concrete screed), and there is any doubt over it's continuity, then that should be bonded. Worse thing they ever did to invent plastic pipes!

Page 45/46 new OSG

had a copper pipe going to a Washine Machine, with a socket near by.
so i changed it for a plastic one, only 30cm
other wise i would of had to run bonding all the 7m about

Out of interest, what made this piece of pipe need bonding? Daz

Second water supply going to the outside toilet, was tapped off in copper orienaly to go to a washine machine in the next shed.
As far as i understood it, and was told by my tutors/assessor that i would have to run 10mm from the MET (being in the same place as the CU)
That i could not pinch the CPC from the SubMain that was feeding the socket to power said washine machine

Can't quite understand where your pipes are running to and from etc'. Anyhow's, there are some very good video's on you tube' by Chris Kitcher 'Protective Supplementary Bonding Test' & by John Ward 'Earthing & Bonding, Parts 1, 2 & 3'. If you've not already seen them, they explain extraneous conductive parts, how to test for them and when to bond.

Second water supply going to the outside toilet, was tapped off in copper orienaly to go to a washine machine in the next shed.
As far as i understood it, and was told by my tutors/assessor that i would have to run 10mm from the MET (being in the same place as the CU)
That i could not pinch the CPC from the SubMain that was feeding the socket to power said washine machine

If it's an extraneous part then chopping a bit out and fitting plastic won't stop it being extraneous. The metal on one side of the plastic will still be extraneous, and the bit on the other side may still be extraneous due to the conductivity of the water. GN8 explains a little about how the fluid in a insulating pipe can be conductive and make metal parts of the pipe extraneous.

If it's an extraneous part then chopping a bit out and fitting plastic won't stop it being extraneous. The metal on one side of the plastic will still be extraneous, and the bit on the other side may still be extraneous due to the conductivity of the water. GN8 explains a little about how the fluid in a insulating pipe can be conductive and make metal parts of the pipe extraneous.

The pipe on the other side is boxed in

Niceic only require one job on the annual assessment now not two. They don't tell you that unless you ask?

I am NICEiC registered and my last assessment was to see if I could wire a 3 pin plug ok. Ok I am being a little sarcastic but annual assessment is just one job now. £500 per annum well spent!!!

Reply to Niceic initial assessment- plastic water main/bonding in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net