Discuss niceic registration in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newman

Hi everybody
I want to register with niceic domestic installer scheme. They advised me to do two jobs (fully installed, inspected tested and certified) under the name of my business. I am fully qualified to do insp/testing (2391) but for certification i have to go through council. When i contacted local council (most of them did not know what i was talking about) they sent me a form PART P BUILDING NOTICE-ELECTRICAL WORK ONLY which has no section for my business address/name. When i spoke to the local council office i was told the fee per job will be £ 85.00 but on the form it says £252.00 for submission of this form.
Could someone advise me if i am on the right track/is this form right?? Because whenever i speak to council people OR niceic adviser i get different answers every time. If someone has gone through this route to register with niceic can they advise me please.
Thanks in advance.

You can do the jobs and then notify once you pass your assessment. You can go through LABC if you want but its a waste of money when you will be able to sign them off yourself 10 days after passing the assessment.

Just remember you have 28 days to sign off the work so make sure your assessment is as close to the finish date as possible.

Iam not sure what the NIC's policy is here, I have read in other threads that they want the jobs notified through LABC first, before your assessment.

Elecsa did not ask, and I never volunteered the information, I just notified once I signed up.

Likewise Iam not sure what Napit asks for.

NAPIT lets you sign off after you pass the assessment, I called NICEIC and Elecsa and they all said the same - as long as you notify the work within 28 days of completion it does not matter how you do it.

Out of interest why are you deciding to go with NICEIC when there are loads of cheaper organisations out there? and better managed?

I would just like to add that "technically" we all have to advise LBC beforehand if we are not Part P registered. I contacted my senior LBC officer before I did my assessment work and he said that as long as it was an assessment job only, he was happy to let me carry it out without offically notifying them first. It does vary between LBC's though, so up to you if you want to do it "by-the-book" or just do it and assume you are going to pass :)

they told me much the same too.

but not so good was they went onto say:

If you want to do any other jobs in the mean time just get a mate to sign it off! :sad3:

this was LBC!

I'm with NICEIC and I didn't notify the work prior to my assessment, it was never even mentioned. I notified once I passed. Save your money mate.

Elecsa and Napit will tell you that you can use the assessed work to notify, NIC will tell you that you nave to notify first but that's what you get for asking them in advance.

Technically, it's the home owner that has to let LABC know and not us but the chance of them doing that is as remote as the 4th moon of uranus!

a bit like pulling DNO fuses , then.

That drives me bonkers. Why not just come up with a simple procedure across all DNO's, like Scottish Power have, whereby Part P registered electricians can phone up and get permission along with a pack of temporary seals. It's ridiculous that it is "Unofficially allowed", while at the same time being "officially illegal"!!!

Edit....Yes, I realise that the fuse carrier can break in ones hand, and in that case a qualified electrician can make the professional judgement not to touch it if it looks old or fragile :)

Last edited:
NAPIT lets you sign off after you pass the assessment, I called NICEIC and Elecsa and they all said the same - as long as you notify the work within 28 days of completion it does not matter how you do it.

Out of interest why are you deciding to go with NICEIC when there are loads of cheaper organisations out there? and better managed?
someone told me some councils//insurance co. dont accept napit certificates. Can it be true

someone told me some councils//insurance co. dont accept napit certificates. Can it be true

You are asking quite a different question here.

Technically they should accept any certs from any of the schemes, but as already said in earlier posts, LABC's are a law unto themselves and it varies widely, some indeed do insist on NIC accreditation, this is wrong IMO.

To clarify:
This is for if you wish to contract for the LABC, they will accept certs from any of the schemes for your own customers notification.

Hi Newman,

My previous post was not very clear.

If you want to do contract work for the council directly, ie. schools, libraries and council offices, and say council housing stock etc., some will insist that you are with the NIC, probably approved contractor status rather than DI.

If you are just doing your own private work which is notifiable, then there is no difference between any of the schemes in this regard, and all LABC's will accept all certs from all schemes.

I hope this clears up my earlier statement.

Reply to niceic registration in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net