ELECSA Certification Scheme Niceic vs Elecsa

Discuss Niceic vs Elecsa in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Now about to setup business self employed and will need to be approved contractor... As above who would you go for? Niceic or Elecsa?

Another point to bare in mind is I will initially be setting up as sole trader and then when time is right, I will make the business LTD. are there any Conns if I were to change to LTD I.e. Would I have to re-register etc

any thoughts welcome

If you register with HMRC as SE all your insurances and schemes etc will need to be in the name of the SE - when you change to Ltd, you will have to get them all re-done in the Ltd "name"

Why do you think you want to go Ltd?

Murdoch,

I guess I was just thinking I would go LTD on the basis that I got busy and wanted to limit my liability as such.

Another question I have on mind is:

How do you go about having 3 jobs ready for the scam to come out at see?? I.e. would I have to get it signed off by building control until I am signed on with on of the bodies?

Not sure about NICEIC, Elecsa normally only want to see one job, CU change is good example. Once assessed you notify LBC. NICEIC have domestic installer & approved contractor, whereas Elecsa just have approved contractor. I might be wrong, but I think most sparks would register with Elecsa for domestic & small commercial and use NICEIC for slightly bigger work, or you could use NICEC from the start, an change to approved contractor at a late date. Think some local councils still think there is only NICEIC, and award contracts only to members registered with them. NICEIC & Elecsa are run by Certsure now, so can see some changes a foot there perhaps.

Not sure about NICEIC, Elecsa normally only want to see one job, CU change is good example. Once assessed you notify LBC. NICEIC have domestic installer & approved contractor, whereas Elecsa just have approved contractor. I might be wrong, but I think most sparks would register with Elecsa for domestic & small commercial and use NICEIC for slightly bigger work, or you could use NICEC from the start, an change to approved contractor at a late date. Think some local councils still think there is only NICEIC, and award contracts only to members registered with them. NICEIC & Elecsa are run by Certsure now, so can see some changes a foot there perhaps.
Really pmsl chuckle.

For Niceic Approved contractor they want to see 5 jobs not one.

Niceic and Elecsa are the same company.
Elecsa is for domestic installers the same as NICEIC domestic installer.
The approved contractor from NICEIC is the next step up.

If you are just setting out do you think you will be getting work off the council etc? In my experience they are a pain in the butt and not worth all the jumping through hoops, most only use those that have been through their ridiculous accreditation procedures and then pay crap rates anyway. Save yourself some dosh and go with Stroma, they are rubbish but cheap and do the same job as the others. If you do a CU change at your own place they will be happy with that and you don't have to worry too much about notification and so on. A limited company will cost you a fair bit more in accountancy, why not give it a year as a ST and then see how you go when you registration and insurance are due again?

Definitley not ... i was Elecsa registered last year and they came out and looked at a laundrette renovation of mine.

Elecsa was originally part of the ECA, then all 3 got together and decided to rob us from all angles.

Its not that simple. NICEIC are public limited company . Elecsa are owned by ECA Affinity Services, which is a non trading plc. Its previous name was Elecsa Ltd. They come under the tenure of Certsure, who are a limited liability partnership. They all have the same registered address. Not sure who exactly owns NICEIC. Electrical Safety First used to, but now NICEIC say it's Certure LLP. Oh what a wicked web they weave. Think somebody is trying to own all the schemes!

Its not that simple. NICEIC are public limited company . Elecsa are owned by ECA Affinity Services, which is a non trading plc. Its previous name was Elecsa Ltd. They come under the tenure of Certsure, who are a limited liability partnership. They all have the same registered address. Not sure who exactly owns NICEIC. Electrical Safety First used to, but now NICEIC say it's Certure LLP. Oh what a wicked web they weave. Think somebody is trying to own all the schemes!

i think they are using seperate bodies to reduce tax bills, conceal profits and boost their pensions!

Reply to Niceic vs Elecsa in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net