Discuss niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

ses

-
Reaction score
Well I made it onto the niceic approved contractor list today.
Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cheers mate
Yes it feels good even tho they are money grabbing so and so's it deffo feels more professional than DI status.

Yes mate they pick up on every little thing.
Make sure your certs are perfect, have all books and paperwork in order.
And jobs you show must be perfect.

Testing wise was easy peasy but picked me up on things like no warning label on earth bonding to steelwork in factory.
Holes in joists being to close together .

Wasnt bad though.

Dont be fooled. I'm not taking anything away from you as you are probably a good sparks to get on the roll. However you are correct in that they are money grabbing *****. They used to be a charity i.e. not for profit organisation. Since Mr Spiers took over, the only part that is a charity is the Electrical Safety Council which no one has heard of, doesnt do anything worth while and is not worth a hoot.

We as sparks dont have delaings with ESC. The NICEIC as it was no longer exists. A company called the NIC Group looks after the roll. All they do is sell sell sell. I got handed no less than 4 flyers from my inspector on my last inspection and even he looked sheepish giving them to me!! One was for tool hire!

Also, and this is worse, i know for a fact that they take pretty much anyone onto the roll. My mate wasnt even fully qualified (failed his C&G 2360-2) but he is now a fully fledged approved installer. He employs labourers or improvers but no qualified sparks.

i also believe that the only way you would be removed from the roll was if you didnt pay your bill!

Money corrupts everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought they pick the jobs at random, sorry just going to be going down the same route soon hopefully.

Nope, I sorted out 5 jobs to give them an across the board selection of work and off we went.

I had a couple of bits that I got picked up on both work and certificates but the guy realised they were not dangerous and probably my interpretation of the regs, we had a chat about it, I have to return to the site to sort a couple of minor bits out and that should be it.
I basically work with my lad so do not have other sparks to BOUNCE off for ideas and discussion which I used to find helped to get to the best solution for some problems.

I would say that the ECA are more money grabbing, their annual cost with the Elecsa for part P was £1350 where as the NIC is £390

All in MHO

Thanks for that, I worked for a one man band that was approved and I know what your saying about having another sparky to bounce ideas off it's good to have, really miss working with another person, sometime find myself phoning the NIC just to clarify what I know already, they sit at the other end of the phone I paint the picture and they just agree and say I've answered my own question in a kind of non plus kind of way:D. Should put an advert in the lonely electricians column haha

Thanks for that, I worked for a one man band that was approved and I know what your saying about having another sparky to bounce ideas off it's good to have, really miss working with another person, sometime find myself phoning the NIC just to clarify what I know already, they sit at the other end of the phone I paint the picture and they just agree and say I've answered my own question in a kind of non plus kind of way:D. Should put an advert in the lonely electricians column haha

Yep, you know that you know the answer but you still need reassurance, but if it helps heho

You should see the expression my m8's gives me when i go off on one about what I think a fault could be, I talk to them like there a clued up sparky, their faces glaze:D They are all out of work Uni graduates who help in the holidays surely they'll get it haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to niceic in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net