Discuss Nightmare customer giving me grief in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gap30

Recently picked up a contract doing bathroom installs, about 3 weeks ago did a bathroom install in a customers house - installed shower/lights in a new 2 way RCD db blah blah, anyways no main earth, using bond to water 6mm as earthing conductor - no bonding to gas, getting Ze of 43 ohms when carrying out eic for nic cert.

Told customer earthing conductor, and bonding to gas/water all need upgrading and it will cost £130.00 - all hell breaks loose, she starts accusing me of ripping her off and what not, calms her down and explains that I cannot issue cert etc

Carries out work, prints off cert and takes to house couple of days ago, she is still moaning - today I get a phone call from bathroom company saying she is taking legal advice on the matter. Ok so I have just emailed link to official NICEIC complaints form to bathroom company.

Should I be worried about this, i am half tempted to go back rip it out, rip up cert and give her money back and she can stick it where sun dont shine

Who is paying you for the bathroom work? If its the bathroom company you should have told them about the issues and get them to negeotiate with the customer.

Usually i just bill customers directly if there are any extra's, as i say have had my own business, got a very good reputation, just a nightmare customer. Also the prices are not great, just wanted to get it finished so could get paid, if i cant issue cert i have to go back, basically i price them as in and outs if you get me.

I really hate them installs where main bonding in required..

I want a new Electric shower fitted.. Right can i see you Gas Meter and stop cock.. Errm why.. I need to check its bonded..

Anyhow when its not and you have to quote to upgrade they think you pulling a fast one..

Usually i just bill customers directly if there are any extra's, as i say have had my own business, got a very good reputation, just a nightmare customer. Also the prices are not great, just wanted to get it finished so could get paid, if i cant issue cert i have to go back, basically i price them as in and outs if you get me.

In which case I'd open a beer and forget about it until the legal paperwork arrives (which it won't)

lol, why are 95% of customers great and you always get that one you know what

Fully explained the issue, i do everything by the book and sometimes people just ...grr!

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest no, maybe i have learnt a lesson here, never ASSUME anything springs to mind which i should know better (in relation to not checking)

agreed ^^^^^. if you have been paid, then just flag the name and address as no further work wanted.

And another thing i dont take for granted is that the bonding starts at the board and finishes at the gas meter its not allways a continious cable. Worked on a council estate about a year ago. Bonding looked fine until i lifted the floor boards.. The had 1m of bond cable fed under the floor and nailed to the floor.. And guess what same at the gas meter.. Nailed to the bloody floor..

I've had it a few times where customers have failed to see the value of main bonding. I've even had a guy saying, "What's the point of that?". It helps to have reference materials to show them, but at the end of the day we shouldn't have to convince people that bonding is important - we're only trying to potentially save them or their kids from a nasty shock.

The way I see it if you quoted for the work then you've gotta give them the finished certificated job for the quoted amount. Its not her fault you couldn't be arsed to check the bonding beforehand. You have to see this from her point of view...to a layman it would look like you are just taking the p*ss.

If you are doing quotes without viewing the job first (which in some cases is practical) then you HAVE to make it very clear in the terms that there may be extra work required in order to make the affected circuits conform to modern safety standards etc etc

I'd also be interested in how people explain bonding to Dave public, my descriptions normally end up over complex :willy_nilly:

"Fault current will find the easiest path to earth madam. Would you like me to install/upgrade the cables to allow that? Or would you prefer to use the little boy/girl there?"

- - - Updated - - -

The way I see it if you quoted for the work then you've gotta give them the finished certificated job for the quoted amount. Its not her fault you couldn't be arsed to check the bonding beforehand. You have to see this from her point of view...to a layman it would look like you are just taking the p*ss.

Harsh, but fair.

OK i learnt a harsh lesson here, examine earthing whilst quoting, not setting a good example here for an nic installer!!

Could have done what most people do ..... (apart from people on this forum i mean!)

Last edited by a moderator:
evening gap30, not very nice to hear of your predicament, particularly for the sole traders who subscribe to
the forum. It seems now a lot of jobs slurp up 1 or 2 hours of our unpaid time where we " verify" ? the
situation before we can even quote. I'm a junior member, I wasted 3/4 hour last week checking the
supply only to read the manufacturers' instructions which asked for RCD the customer did not want or
understand.

- - - Updated - - -

evening gap30, not very nice to hear of your predicament, particularly for the sole traders who subscribe to
the forum. It seems now a lot of jobs slurp up 1 or 2 hours of our unpaid time where we " verify" ? the
situation before we can even quote. I'm a junior member, I wasted 3/4 hour last week checking the
supply only to read the manufacturers' instructions which asked for RCD the customer did not want or
understand.

Guess which idiot is £130.00 out of pocket, bathroom company went to get paid and customer held back on £130.00 even after i spent an hour explaining why i was doing the work and the importance/safety aspect.

As other have said i should have checked before and i have learnt my lesson where it hurts most, but 99.9% of people would just say 'ok you are the spark, if it needs doing, do it'

Put this one down to experience methinks

understand.

- - - Updated - - -

understand.

I have honestly had times recently where i wonder why i bother - then i remember what it was like working for other people lol

Guess which idiot is £130.00 out of pocket, bathroom company went to get paid and customer held back on £130.00 even after i spent an hour explaining why i was doing the work and the importance/safety aspect.

As other have said i should have checked before and i have learnt my lesson where it hurts most, but 99.9% of people would just say 'ok you are the spark, if it needs doing, do it'

Put this one down to experience methinks

**** that, get some orange/red "this account is in debt, if account is not settled in 7 days debt will be passed to recovery dept" stickers made & apply one to the invoice & one to the envelope.

You've done the work & explained why it needed doing...............odds on NICEIC will say the 6mm to water will suffice.

**** that, get some orange/red "this account is in debt, if account is not settled in 7 days debt will be passed to recovery dept" stickers made & apply one to the invoice & one to the envelope.

You've done the work & explained why it needed doing...............odds on NICEIC will say the 6mm to water will suffice.

Will consider my options, have given customer the certificate as they were moaning about that too!!

Reply to Nightmare customer giving me grief in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net