Discuss Nightshirt work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maddison

Iv been pretty fortunate to have never had to do any nightshirt work but have been asked to do some out of hours work changing some switchgear over in a substation... My question is do you get paid for missed time the next day ?.. Thanks

To be honest I've never had to go to work in a nightshirt before.

Over here it would depend entirely on who you worked for.

It is usual to get an amount of time off paid the next day for one off or standby type working out of hours. I assume you meant nightshift work not nightshirt ?

I did permanent nightshift for years. Plenty of sleep, but kept my normal shirt on.

As for payment, normally you get a shift premium. Only on callout would we get time in lieu.

It's all down to your own employers standard terms.

I get paid overtime for any work out of normal hours at a fixed rate regardless of what day the time is worked and if any of the hours are between Midnight and 06.00 my next day start time is delayed by the same number of hours (recovery time), providing the next day is a normal working day.
If it's a Saturday for example I get no recovery time.

If I worked all night till 06.00 I wouldn't be expected to work at all the next day, but would still be paid.

My previous employer would have had me turn up for just the last 1 hour.

I too have worked permanent shifts and could have done with a nightshirt but managed with just a sleeping bag.

Time and a third for Nightshift for the first 8 hours, then time and a half for next 4, if it's a 12hour shift. When you finish Nightshift you get 8 hours standard time and the day off.

Most of my working life I’ve been on salaried staff. No overtime payment, if you were needed you worked for nothing other than time in lieu.

Continuous shift work boosted your salary considerably.

It was funny when I took voluntary redundancy after 23 years.

By the rules I should have worked six months notice. I pulled the government’s 50% rule where a company can give pay in lieu of notice. That got it down to three months, and then there was the accrued overtime to take in to account.
I did three night shifts so I could get all my gear home. It’s amazing the junk you can acquire in 23 years.

You want good pay for night or rotating shifts as the health implications are well documented. Just do a google search. I do standby and doing two all nighters on the trot it now takes me a week to get over it.

Reply to Nightshirt work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net