Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss NIPON SOCKET OUTLET in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toneyz

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Has anyone heard of a Nipon socket apparently we are fitting them to lamposts in a town square?

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Is this a typo for Niphan?
See Plugs & Sockets - LPA Group - https://www.lpa-group.com/product/plugs-sockets/

Long-established design, goes back to the 1920s/30s. Popular on mass transit and high durability installations. Expensive, not sure they represent great value any more with so many good connectors to choose from. There are imitations, only the LPA product is the original Niphan.

T

Toneyz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is this a typo for Niphan?
See Plugs & Sockets - LPA Group - https://www.lpa-group.com/product/plugs-sockets/

Long-established design, goes back to the 1920s/30s. Popular on mass transit and high durability installations. Expensive, not sure they represent great value any more with so many good connectors to choose from. There are imitations, only the LPA product is the original Niphan.
Thanks, Lucien at least someone is helpful on here and not going off topic before it started. I only spelt it the same as someone email it so could be spelt wrong.
These sockets are for Christmas lights in a market square mounted on a lampost.

T

Toneyz

No Pete not a bad day at all just don't know what one was and its ok going off topic but when it is the first reply there would be only one way the thread will go and I will never know until we get it. This project bit of a council wasting money vanity project lights in the pavement under benches etc and nobody is thinking practically the job out. These lamposts are only 4Mtrs high.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
you have to forgive buzz. he could not keep on track if he was a train. :mask: :mask: :mask:

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
No Pete not a bad day at all just don't know what one was and its ok going off topic but when it is the first reply there would be only one way the thread will go and I will never know until we get it. This project bit of a council wasting money vanity project lights in the pavement under benches etc and nobody is thinking practically the job out. These lamposts are only 4Mtrs high.
If it's the ones I'm thinking of, they are used for high traffic areas, why they don't use panel mounted Commando ones only they will know, like you say more waste of the public purse, good luck with it any way, you going to Elex in Sept?

T

Toneyz

The spelling on the working drawings is Niphan socket.

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Well at least they've got that right. Originally made by Simmonds Bros. and even older than I said earlier... the original design was pre WW1, i.e. now over 100 years old. Probably one of the first comprehensive systems of truly watertight connectors, and perhaps the first to offer multiway splitters, 2, 3, & even a 6-way version like a pipe manifold, with a plug at one end and two rows of 3 sockets.

See: Simmonds Brothers - Graces Guide - https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Simmonds_Brothers

I have them in use on various things; a WWII generating set, a 1930 film projector, a 3-phase distribution system for synchronous camera motors. The projector uses a non-watertight version without the locking ring and gasket, up to 7 pins.

T

Toneyz

They turned up on site so I thought I would post up the one on the lampost is an existing one that does not fall in the scope of works.
The only comment is that there is no cord grip the flex/cable is connected and hangs down inside the lampost.
WLS.jpg
WLS1jpg.jpgWLS2.jpg

Reply to NIPON SOCKET OUTLET in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Top Bottom