Discuss NIPON SOCKET OUTLET in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is this a typo for Niphan?
See Plugs & Sockets - LPA Group - https://www.lpa-group.com/product/plugs-sockets/

Long-established design, goes back to the 1920s/30s. Popular on mass transit and high durability installations. Expensive, not sure they represent great value any more with so many good connectors to choose from. There are imitations, only the LPA product is the original Niphan.

Is this a typo for Niphan?
See Plugs & Sockets - LPA Group - https://www.lpa-group.com/product/plugs-sockets/

Long-established design, goes back to the 1920s/30s. Popular on mass transit and high durability installations. Expensive, not sure they represent great value any more with so many good connectors to choose from. There are imitations, only the LPA product is the original Niphan.
Thanks, Lucien at least someone is helpful on here and not going off topic before it started. I only spelt it the same as someone email it so could be spelt wrong.
These sockets are for Christmas lights in a market square mounted on a lampost.

No Pete not a bad day at all just don't know what one was and its ok going off topic but when it is the first reply there would be only one way the thread will go and I will never know until we get it. This project bit of a council wasting money vanity project lights in the pavement under benches etc and nobody is thinking practically the job out. These lamposts are only 4Mtrs high.

you have to forgive buzz. he could not keep on track if he was a train. :mask: :mask: :mask:

No Pete not a bad day at all just don't know what one was and its ok going off topic but when it is the first reply there would be only one way the thread will go and I will never know until we get it. This project bit of a council wasting money vanity project lights in the pavement under benches etc and nobody is thinking practically the job out. These lamposts are only 4Mtrs high.
If it's the ones I'm thinking of, they are used for high traffic areas, why they don't use panel mounted Commando ones only they will know, like you say more waste of the public purse, good luck with it any way, you going to Elex in Sept?

Well at least they've got that right. Originally made by Simmonds Bros. and even older than I said earlier... the original design was pre WW1, i.e. now over 100 years old. Probably one of the first comprehensive systems of truly watertight connectors, and perhaps the first to offer multiway splitters, 2, 3, & even a 6-way version like a pipe manifold, with a plug at one end and two rows of 3 sockets.

See: Simmonds Brothers - Graces Guide - https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Simmonds_Brothers

I have them in use on various things; a WWII generating set, a 1930 film projector, a 3-phase distribution system for synchronous camera motors. The projector uses a non-watertight version without the locking ring and gasket, up to 7 pins.

They turned up on site so I thought I would post up the one on the lampost is an existing one that does not fall in the scope of works.
The only comment is that there is no cord grip the flex/cable is connected and hangs down inside the lampost.
NIPON SOCKET OUTLET WLS - EletriciansForums.net
NIPON SOCKET OUTLET WLS1 - EletriciansForums.netNIPON SOCKET OUTLET WLS2 - EletriciansForums.net

A few years ago, I recall one of the Uni venues in Oxford with a very old installation, that only had these and 13s. The advance read "1 x 60A socket downstage left" or similar. I incorrectly thought, they must mean 63/1 ceeform. After a frantic 15 mins or so, the venue found a short 60A Niphan plugtop to 63/1 ceeform jumper, so all was good. Lesson: the devil is in the detail.

Reply to NIPON SOCKET OUTLET in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock