Discuss Nissan Leaf 22kw in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
My Dad is picking up a Nissan Leaf. He is planning to charge it using the granny charger as we have a socket in the porch. Can anyone recommend a decent fast charger and what would I need to install one?

Sounds like the sort of thing you'd need to get someone in to do, as at 240v that's 91.7 amps, most household power supply main fuses are 100 amps (some 80 amps/some 63 amps) so it's probably not a good idea to try and tap that sort of power off your consumer unit. Calculations based on UK figures.

Its not going to charge at 22KW from a home A/C charger. To choose a charger check the model type of the Leaf, i.e. how old is it, check the max charge rate for the on board charger on A/C single phase, could be 6-7KW. Then check which connector you will need, not familiar with Leafs but a quick call to Zappi would help to identify the right charger lead and any convertors needed. Then get someone to install it.

If you're planning on using the "Granny Cable" from the socket in the porch... I would recommend that you have it checked out by an electrician to make sure it's up to the job. Whilst it will be rated for 13 Amps, which is higher than the, say 10 Amps max that your "Granny Cable" will allow... it's drawing that current for a long time... so it might overheat and cause a fire somewhere. I think (you should check) that a genuine Nissan cable has a temperature probe built into the plug, that will stop charging if the plug gets too warm... but it won't be able to pickup the temperature elsewhere in your wiring installation.

Maybe ask the electrician who comes round to quote for a proper EV charge point ??

First thing is how old is this leaf?
Does it have type 1 or type 2 connector as this will determine which type of tethered charger you can go for or if untethered it makes no odds. As all are type 2 to type 1/2 other end of leas.

First thing is how old is this leaf?
Does it have type 1 or type 2 connector as this will determine which type of tethered charger you can go for or if untethered it makes no odds. As all are type 2 to type 1/2 other end of leas.

It’s a 2015 24kw

All information on it is here:

Type 1 charger lead then, so if fittings a charger as per your other thread/post I would go for untethered, this way you future proof the charger for other vehicles. if you fit a type 1 tethered lead it will only work with older cars.

My Dad has been getting on great with his Leaf. But was wondering if he could buy a suitable extension lead? As the cable is out of the porch window.

If he's happy with the granny charger, then fit a 13A switch socket, suitable for outside use, near where the car is parked. Needs to be the type of socket that maintains its IP rating when a plug and lead is plugged in.

If he's happy with the granny charger, then fit a 13A switch socket, suitable for outside use, near where the car is parked. Needs to be the type of socket that maintains its IP rating when a plug and lead is plugged in.

I don’t think I would be able to do that. I have seen these extension leads:

Last edited:
Depends how exposed the location is, but these are one of the best: MK IP66 13A 1-Gang DP Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-ip66-13a-1-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/30703
Note the circuit MUST be 30mA RCD protected.

A "socket" for a car charger needs to be on a dedicated circuit (reg 722.311) and 30mA RCD protected. Type A or better (reg 722.531.2.101), mode 2 chargers (Granny adapters) are included in this if it's a permanent arrangement, the inline controller may provide the RCD protection required. An existing external socket is very unlikely to be on it's own circuit

Reply to Nissan Leaf 22kw in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net