Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss No bonding with RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Penfield

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Apparently if the pipe work in a property achieves certain resistance there is no need for bonding if a RCD is used. What is the figure that needs to be achieved? I have been looking through the regs this morning but haven't found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
D

DanBrown

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently if the pipe work in a property achieves certain resistance there is no need for bonding if a RCD is used. What is the figure that needs to be achieved? I have been looking through the regs this morning but haven't found it.
If im correct in saying, 7666 Ohms is the maximum resistance allowed. I did: V/I = R 230/0.030 (30mA) = 7666 Ohms.
So long as the resistance is below this reading, the RCD should trip according to plan. Thats why we use them on TT systems a lot, because of the high resistance readings that could occur, and the 7666 ohms is lets face it - pretty high....

Other comments would also be appreciated so i know if im on the right lines.

Hope this helps anway.
Dan...

C

Chappers

I thought the level given in the regs was 1667 ohms? Can't check as it's beneath a pile of stuff at the moment and I'm not brave enough to start disturbing it.

If I recall rightly, a voltage of maximum 50V with a current of 30mA is considered to be below shock levels, and so this should be the maximum value permitted when an RCD is used. R=V/I would then be: R=50/0.03, so R=1667 if rounded up from 1666.666-recurring. If the resistance was higher, a higher voltage would be required and as such the 50V limit is exceeded and values are above those deemed enough to cause a shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest123

Correct Chappers, 50V is the "safe touch voltage" hence the calc R=50/0.03=1667ohms. which is maximum permissable Ra or (Ze) for a "TT" system although 200ohms is generally regarded as the maximum acceptable before you need to do something about it.

Cheers.

D

DanBrown

Chappers, Good thinking... Totally forgot about the 50v touch voltage.
You are quite right. 50v/0.030a = 1.667 ohms.:(

P

Penfield

Thanks, forgive me if this is a daft question but all the replies so far seem to be concerning a TT installation. Would the same formula apply to TNS etc? I just want to make sure I fully understand.

Paul

G

Guest123

Hey mate.

That calc is for the maximum permissible Ze with the "safe touch voltage" in order to hit your disconnection times for 30mA RCD's

With respect to TN-C-S it's max Ze of - 0.35ohms
TN-S it's max Ze of - 0.80ohms

Cheers.

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Reply to No bonding with RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom