Discuss No Carbon Monoxide Detector-PIR Code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
What code would you put down for this on a PIR if there was no carbon monoxide detector but a gas boiler in a property? Is there a regulation that you have to comply with on it being a wired detector or are ones you plug into the sockets ok?

no code, as it doesn't come under BS7671. it's more of a gas regulation. as mo says, you could comment on it

If it's an old open flue fire or boiler then a CO detector seems a good idea. If it's a more modern room-sealed balanced flue or fan flue boiler is it even recommended? Anyone here who's Gas Safe registered who can answer?

I believe it is always best practice irrespective of the type of boiler to recommend installation of smoke/heat and co2 alarms. Imagine a leak leading to child death( look at the inquiry in Spain and all the people who where drawn into the legal case), the judge is going to ask why you did not install even though you knew of the potential risk. As with all installation work apply the ACE ( arse covering exercise) so you know that you have done all that you can.The client decides then, but your covered.

I believe it is always best practice irrespective of the type of boiler to recommend installation of smoke/heat and co2 alarms. Imagine a leak leading to child death( look at the inquiry in Spain and all the people who where drawn into the legal case), the judge is going to ask why you did not install even though you knew of the potential risk. As with all installation work apply the ACE ( arse covering exercise) so you know that you have done all that you can.The client decides then, but your covered.

He wont because there is no requirement to install....you would only be in the brown stuff if it was a requirement and you had not complied.

He wont because there is no requirement to install....you would only be in the brown stuff if it was a requirement and you had not complied.

That's not strictly true. If it all went t1ts up then 'experts' would be called. One of which would say that fitting them is considered best practice. The judge would then ask why it's not done and if the reply is anything other than "the customer was advised to have them fitted but refused" then there would be cause for blame. It has to be kept in mind the BS7671 is a minimum standard and as experts in their field or competent persons the electricians who design, install, work on or test & inspect have a legal responsibility and duty of care for the customer/end user. As long as you give them all the facts, recommend the best practise and document that you have done so. If you don't, and something goes wrong in the future, you will be putting yourself in the line of fire.

Last edited:
That's not strictly true. If it all went t1ts up then 'experts' would be called. One of which would say that fitting them is considered best practice. The judge would then ask why it's not done and if the reply is anything other than "the customer was advised to have them fitted but refused" then there would be cause for blame. It has to be kept in mind the BS7671 is a minimum standard and as experts in their field or competent persons the electricians who design, install, work on or test & inspect have a legal responsibility and duty of care for the customer/end user. As long as you give them all the facts, recommend the best practise and document that you have done so. If you don't, and something goes wrong in the future, you will be putting yourself in the line of fire.

Take your point but dont agree.....unless of course there is a building regs requirement or such like for C/M alarms which I am not aware of.....I dont believe not following 'best practice' would land you in court...not following actual regulations may.

Take your point but dont agree.....unless of course there is a building regs requirement or such like for C/M alarms which I am not aware of.....I dont believe not following 'best practice' would land you in court...not following actual regulations may.

You're quite right, it wouldn't land you in court. My point was is something went wrong, the worst case being someone in the house died from CO poisoning. There would be a coroner's inquest, at which the investigation would focus on wether or not the death could have been prevented. If fitting the detectors could have saved the person then the question would be asked why they hadn't been fitted. So fitting them or not wouldn't be a legal matter. But not advising the customer to have them fitted would be a contributing factor to the death and would carry a level of responsibility for the professional involved. The only way that you can prove you offered advice which was refused is with supporting paperwork.

dunno about CO, but i need a CH4 detector in the karzi after last night's curry and ale.

Hi Guys,

I think Part J of the building regs has a requirement for carbon monoxide alarms but this I think is for solid fuel appliances and only goes as far as battery powered units. This seems a little weak as someone ahs said quite correctly that carbon monoxide can originate from gas appliances as well.
I would agree with making your comments known to your customer as said above. At least they have the choice and if you have complied with the regs then it is up to them I guess.

Best wishes,

Rex

Reply to No Carbon Monoxide Detector-PIR Code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net