Discuss No cont. on neutrals in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

Tested a kitchen ring today and got continuity on Line, Earth but not neutrals. Tester wouldn't give reading on R1 + R2 but everything else (Ins res, Zs, RCD trip time etc) was in order. Got 230v at each socket outlet and think I know where the problem lies (buried in wall with a brand new kitchen and tiling covering it:eek:). Being newish to testing, what aret he issues with having no continuity on the neutrals and is it safe to leave this till later next week as unable to attend before then.

you could always temporarly split the ring somewhere bout halfway, and put the ring on 2 16a radials till you get chance to sort it?

Trouble is the site manager can't get me back there until Wed at the earliest and I have to remove tiles, kitchen units (high level) base units, work top, just to get to the plaster.

ahh i c, is it an empty new build? or if not then you might just have to keep your fingers crossed! lol saying that tho ive seen countless radials backed up by a 32a mcb so im sure it be ok till you get there on wednesday, i could be wrong but i think if you cant get a ring on the neutrals then think you'll have to split it to radials?

oh dear! i got some crimps the other day and as soon as you put one end in it pushes the inner bit out the other end! really frustrating!

SPlitting the ring sounds slike the best option, i ahve done it befor where it would cause alot more disruption ripping off tiles and hacking at plaster. Then having to have plasterer back and tiler back.

you could always temporarly split the ring somewhere bout halfway, and put the ring on 2 16a radials till you get chance to sort it?

i would do the same, but use 20A MCb's - Table 8A (16th OSG), or appendix 15 17th ed springs to mind:rolleyes:

had same prob myself not too long back but was on the live/phase/line...relatively easy fault find.....turned out to be bad connection in back of socket, thankfully.

would splitting the ring at any point other than the failing crimp not give a bad neutral connection on the "new" radial?

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. Only way to rectify is to remove units, tiles and plaster and try and locate failed crimp.

Reply to No cont. on neutrals in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock