Discuss no continuity on ring final neutrals in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have but was being too lazy to go out to the van and get it

You're missing my point.

Do you think you are competent to carry out periodic inspections?

I always try to offer help and advice on this forum but you are being paid for your 'expertise and knowledge', ultimately deciding if someone's installation is satisfactory for continued service.

You need to learn this (basic) theory stuff in the classroom, not while carrying out periodic inspections.

Hi guys, I'm just entering my third yr in September and after reading this post I have gone and bought guidance note 3, £6.70 from eBay! Bargain!

That will probably be one of the best £6.70 you will ever spend in your quest to become and Electrician. Master that book and you will with a bit of practical experience, in time be putting post's on here saying things like "The 2391 was a doddle, i dont know what all the fuss is about".

Cheers...........Howard

Instead of going round takeing all the socket facias off he needs to do a proper fault finding tests.

THE HALF TEST METHOD!

Afterall it might not just be a loose connection inside a socket!

I agree mate, but i find that on a small install it can be just as quick to whip them off one by one and have a look saves time finding the mid "ish' point especilally when DIY charlie has visited. But you are right the mid point method the best way for a larger circuit.

Cheers......Howard

Hi. Sorry to jump on thread but do not know how to start a new one for myself!
1) When doing a domestic periodic on a 32 A ring final circuit it did not show a r2 CPC end to end reading, however all other tests Zs etc were OK. Did a long lead test and it's the first leg from consumer unit to 1st socket. What code would be appropriate?
2) When testing 6A lighting circuit no R1+R2 reading. Again all other tests Zs etc were OK. What code would be appropriate?
Thanks.

do you want new or old codes well go for old both would be a code 3 requires further investigation , bit curiouse as to why you couldnt get an R1R2 reading when you got a Zs mind ,way to find the fault is to remove all sockets and check connections or more complicated do an R2Rn test around the sockets till you loose the reading

oh to start a new thread double click on general electrical forum then when it opens new thread is at the top

Last edited by a moderator:
do you want new or old codes well go for old both would be a code 3 requires further investigation , bit curiouse as to why you couldnt get an R1R2 reading when you got a Zs mind ,way to find the fault is to remove all sockets and check connections or more complicated do an R2Rn test around the sockets till you loose the reading

oh to start a new thread double click on general electrical forum then when it opens new thread is at the top

Thank you. I am curious as well why no R1+R2 on lighting when Zs was OK, didn't have long enough ladders with me to reach all the fittings. Think I'm going to get the repair work, so may have to find out! Thanks for the new thread pointer as well :)

thats a good point malcome has said there is always a posibility there is also a neutral to earth fault or cross connection so you have no continuity to the last on the run cross wire between CPC and the N you then would get the Zs but that would trip the RCD or may just be a combination of a broken cpc and a Earth to Neutral fault but i would have thought that would have tripped the RCD too unless there is a bonding conductor from say a shower to the bathroom light , combined with an open circuit cpc that will give you a Zs as you then have a path to earth via the bonding , this is another reason why you should never rely on a Zs test for testing continuity as you could well have false readings and leave the installation potentially un safe

well could well be shorting cpc to neutral thus giving a fasle reading best bet is to joint the live and cpc together as you would with an R1R2 test and test at every point till you loose the continuity

Thanks. So to summarise, periodic code 3 for the lighting and then if they want the work doing test until continuity is gone. (Although I did try a couple of points just in case I hit lucky and none of them gave a reading. O boy!)

On a recent EICR I had a ring circuit with no rn readings. It had 2 cables from attic going down the wall, but only 1 to be found in the socket. Traced in using r2 & rn connected method.
Ended up having to junction it and lose the socket as there was no neutral in the socket.
Possibly adjoining room had a socket and was strip connected together and single cable fed through the wall. It is now a bathroom and couldn't access the adjacent socket area.

2nd EICR had no R1/R2 reading in lighting circuit. Traced it to the 1st light on the circuit. An extended cable had a push fit junction box, but the CPC hadn't been pushed in !!

Oh the joys of testing ?

Reply to no continuity on ring final neutrals in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock