Discuss No earth on installation, WHO is responsible??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

charlalberts

Hi,

Quick question,

I am busy doing a rewire on a property, really old electrics, old rewireable fuses, NO earth. Main earth cable was enclosed around a screw on the cut out fuse.

Who is responsible to sort it out?

I have contacted UK power network, they always say they are going to send someone out to assess the problem, and see if there is PME available in the street?
If there is no PME available, they say i have to install an earth electrode. Surely they can peel the sheath back the distributors cable and attach an earth clamp?

They say the electrician is responsible to provide an earth path, but surely it the distributor who is providing power.

Could anyone please give me some more insight, as its not the first time

Thanks in advance

I think it may be down to you, I believe they only maintain an earth if they supply one. Obviously they're not supplying one.

May have to try for a PME upgrade (which will cost).

The DNO will only maintain an earth facility which they provide, if it's not there they will give you a choice of either paying an exorbitant amount for a PME or sinking earth rods

I think you will need to install a earth rod as has beed said the DNO only need to maintain the earth if they supply one.

YOU are responsible as your wiring the house you have to maintain the main earth ie earth electrode

You're missing something mate, there could be any one of a few reasons why they didn't supply an earth. For one, PME wasn't available at the time.

not always the case,I believe that if they supplied an earth originally then they must maintain it however if they did not then the have no legal obligation to supply one,many years ago it was down to the sparky to provide an earth and this would be tested by dno before they would connect supply.

That's where the earth rods come in Farm, TT systems all have individual earth electrodes. I and my wife, kids and dog have been living in one of these places for 20+years with no ill effects whatsoever. When I rewired I got an Ra/Ze of 1 ohm so I'm pretty confident it's fit for purpose

- - - Updated - - -

So they used to just supply phase and neutral to properties what year did this stop or what age of properties would this accur in
They still do it to this day

Indeed they do Trev, especially if fed from overhead,mind you I remember when i was a kid in the early 70,s and we had a new house on an estate and that was TT.as you say still pretty common.

I'd be willing to bet that there are as many(if not more) TTs in this country as TNs

DNO can only maintain an exhisting earth if its reported to them as a danger! if theres no chance of of a pme, you have to put a rod in the ground

So they leave a property with no earth facility dosnt sound safe to me wouldn't live there with my family

Older installations were safe.
You had to provide a good earth by whichever method you found suitable, which the DNO tested before they made the final connection.

The earth was quite often thro' the lead water pipe and was a good earth.

Water boards used to allow the supply of water thro lead pipes, they wouldn't nowadays as things have moved on.
Same with electrical earthing.
Lead cables buried in a wall were never a hazard.
Since the use of plastics for outer insulation and for gas and water supplies, earthing has become far more important.

I am busy doing a rewire on a property, really old electrics, old rewireable fuses, NO earth. Main earth cable was enclosed around a screw on the cut out fuse.

If there is an earth connection there, provided by the DNO, then you have an earth connection, ...it just hasn't been distributed. Where is this earth cable coming from and have you tested this earth connection (Ze) ?? Only after testing, can you determine whether you have a functional earth connection....

I don't know why everyone here is saying, that you ''HAVE'' to pay for PME earth connection. I know that some unscrupulous DNO's have made PME connections chargeable, but most to my knowledge don't charge where a PME connection is already available!!!

Reply to No earth on installation, WHO is responsible??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock