Discuss No installation certificate in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SouthernComfort

Hi All,

HI Folks, sorry to be a bother. Looking for some advice.

I brought a house around two years in South Wales, and used a spark to do the rewiring etc.

I'm now looking at selling it, but can't find the installation paperwork anywhere. I was rather ill around a year ago, so I'm not even sure I had any!

I've been told by some friends I should of got a "Installation Certificate", and that it should of been registered with Part P or something?

Anyway, I can't get hold of the spark and don't have his details anymore. I only found him as he posted a flyer though the door, and he seemed really hard working.

I phoned a local NICEIC spark who's coming to do a "Periodic inspection?" Which he said was the next best thing.

Now as I don't have the details, and stupidly paid in cash. Should I tell the Local Building Control, or just get on with it selling it and give the solicitors the periodic?

Obviously providing there are no problems on it.

Thank you in advance,

Steve.

Hi All,

HI Folks, sorry to be a bother. Looking for some advice.

I brought a house around two years in South Wales, and used a spark to do the rewiring etc.

I'm now looking at selling it, but can't find the installation paperwork anywhere. I was rather ill around a year ago, so I'm not even sure I had any!

I've been told by some friends I should of got a "Installation Certificate", and that it should of been registered with Part P or something?

Anyway, I can't get hold of the spark and don't have his details anymore. I only found him as he posted a flyer though the door, and he seemed really hard working.

I phoned a local NICEIC spark who's coming to do a "Periodic inspection?" Which he said was the next best thing.

Now as I don't have the details, and stupidly paid in cash. Should I tell the Local Building Control, or just get on with it selling it and give the solicitors the periodic?

Obviously providing there are no problems on it.

Thank you in advance,

Steve.

What you need is a Electrical Installation Condition Report as off the 1st January 2012 as its called now (formally Periodic Inspection Report).
This will be a survey, inspection and test of your installation.
It is just that however and you may have to be prepared to pay for any remdial works which the report identifies, so bare that in mind.

It is my understanding that after 12 months, an installation which has not been reported no longer becomes reportable. Some other members may help with that.

Just to add to the above the NICEIC have told their members it is ok to use PIR documentation up to June 2012 as basically they have not got their act together re EICR documentation but to be fair neither have any of the scheme providors as for reportable I cannot help here as I live in Scotland

Okay thanks Guys.

Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest during the sale, so though it was better to ask the professionals!

Will make sure i only use NICEIC sparks from the yellow pages from now on!

SouthernComfort, honestly I would rather have an up to date EICR (periodic inspection) form on a house I would be looking to buy, rather than an old Installation certificate.

At least I would know the current condition of the electrics is, where as an old installation certificate only tells what was done 'X' months/years ago.

When you say you will only use an NIC sparks in future... If you look in the business section of this forum, there is a sticky thread which shows, last time at checked, that the majority of members are Eca/Elecsa registered. As long as the electrician is registered with a part p scheme, the scheme provider is not important. NIC is becoming a thing of the past.

Okay thanks Guys.

Don't want to stir up a hornet's nest during the sale, so though it was better to ask the professionals!

Will make sure i only use NICEIC sparks from the yellow pages from now on!

Remember that there are other Part P scheme providers, ELECSA, NAPIT, ECA who are all recognised unless of course the solicitor has insisted on NICEIC.

Remember that there are other Part P scheme providers, ELECSA, NAPIT, ECA who are all recognised unless of course the solicitor has insisted on NICEIC.

Yes I have to agree with Spoon on this one there is a misconception that it has to be ???????? scheme providor and lots of times they are the ones pushing this thinking and as I have said before there are too many plus they are all self serving they not interested in standards but they seem to have it all stitched up in England and Wales that you have to be a member

So all,

Quick update.......

Had a NAPIT registered tester come out to do the PIR......

Must of been here an hour tops. Opened up two light switches, a socket, and opened the consumer unit!

Had to ask him if I needed to unplug appliances, electronics etc.

And didn't even want to go in the loft!

It's a crime that people like these get away with this! £120 and i've got a PIR that I know is nonsense but keeps the solicitors happy!

Should have posted location, maybe one of members here could have done it (although it would take more than an hour and most likely cost more).

Bit of expensive bog roll there me thinks.

Just to add to the above the NICEIC have told their members it is ok to use PIR documentation up to June 2012 as basically they have not got their act together re EICR documentation but to be fair neither have any of the scheme providors as for reportable I cannot help here as I live in Scotland

They probably have loads of old PIR pads that they still want to be able to sell off, can't do that if they refuse to accept them now can they :ihih:

If he is prepared to put his name to a legal document under these circumstances then bigger fool him. I hope it bites himin the backside one day (as long as no one is hurt and their property is ok)

On a side note to this, are NAPIT allowing PIR forms rather than EICR? Should we expect a small Amendment to the regs to say they will all come into effect when the scheme providers say so?!

So all,

Quick update.......

Must of been here an hour tops. Opened up two light switches, a socket, and opened the consumer unit!

It's a crime that people like these get away with this! £120 and i've got a PIR that I know is nonsense but keeps the solicitors happy!

£120 an hour, how cool is that, means the EICR I did on a 3 bed terrace today should be £480 ;-)

Crumbs, I'm a Napit member and would struggle to get below 50% inspection on a property i did not know the history of, i.e. no previous docs. BTW the Fastest software has been out for a few months now so i am using the new forms and have been since Jan, surprised others are using out of date and no longer BS forms - shocking truly shocking

So all,

Quick update.......

Hum, did you get a EICR or a visual inspection.

The EICR should contain one sheet with a list of all your circuits on it and the results of the tests implemented.

May I suggest you don't pay any bill until you receive the written report? or is it too late?

So all,

Quick update.......

half arsed, magic 1 hour testers strike again......should be struck off more like.....

Reply to No installation certificate in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net