Discuss No lights working in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave66316

Hi im after some advice please,
I tried to change a light fitting in my living room from a standard ceiling rose to a new light that I bought, now the problem was, the original rose has 9 connections, for the three cables comin through the ceiling, which I now no to be one from the switch then two from loop, I think, but the new light had only 3 connections so I put all the lives to one all the neutrals to the other and all the earths together, turned the light on and it worked perfect
But then when I turned it off there was a pop from the light switch and the switch turned itself back on, but now no lights work anyway, all the lighting is on one fuse, which hasn't blown,

I have now put everything back to how it was, but still no lights work,
The house is 100 years old, with new and old wiring dotted about,

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

diditrain

Electrician's Arms
Call in an Electrician and explain what you have done. This will make it easier and more cost effective for you in the long run

OP
G

Guest111

Youve got your wires crossed,as others said call a sparks before you get hurt,what area are you in?maybe someone on here is local to you.

OP
D

Dave66316

Hi im in southport, would anybody know the general cost of what its likely to be, as were both skint, and got a baby due tomorow, and could really do with some lights, thanks in advance

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
if you werew local to me. i'd charge £30 - £40 (plus any parts on top)

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
actually. southport's not too far away., i've nowt on today, so i could come up there and fix it for you.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
cuddington. just west of northwich. phil.you're closer to southport than i am.

OP
G

Guest111

Moral of the story.... Don't play with electrics the day before your baby is due :)

Hope it all works out for you.
Given him words of advice,turned out he corrected fault but was looking at wrong fuse,he,s a plumber but we won,t hol that against him,:hammer:

OP
D

Dave66316

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344854473.528450.jpg thanks very much for your help, here it is all up and running :D

Thanks once again

OP
E

Engineer54

There both skint, because they spent all there money on that light fitting!! ...lol!!!

OP
S

shocking_eg

best keep stock of those capsule lamps as they don't last 5 minutes - oh and the transformers always fail in these fancy fittings :)

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i got a similar fitting from a car boot 2 years ago. cost £2. not even had a lamp blow yet. and before someone comes up with the comment. yes. i have connected it up and it is switched on most days.

OP

1shortcircuit

I've come over all tingly reading this thread:wings:

Well done to all who helped and good luck with the birth.

Nice lamp by the way :lightbulb:

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I've come over all tingly reading this thread:wings:

well, take your finger out the bloody socket, then.

OP
G

Guest111

Just hope he doesn,t post for help delivering the baby,done it once with the ex wife not sure I want to do it again.lol Seriously though all the best for the forthcoming event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Black

Votes: 24 34.3%

Electrician Talk