Discuss No live testing except where it's a must in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Do you agree that we only should be working dead when establishing the Zs for final circuits other than socket outlet circuits? That is, don't use the line, neutral and earth probes of the E/L tester except for Ze and Ipsc. Simply add R1+R2 to Ze.

A calculated Zs is only theoretical and can be different from a measured Zs, so IMO Zs should be measured unless it really will be dangerous (eg require dismantling live equipment). You can get ES and BC adaptors for light fittings and putting probes on live FCU terminals is hardly 'dicing with death'.

Absolutely not. Always test Zs on all circuits how else would you know your circuit complies with the values for maximum permitted Zs. Calculations do not allow for high impedances through some MCB's, RCD's etc.

Health and Safety gone mad these days, if you follow the book then Les you're probably correct...no live testing where possible. However, have to agree with Archy and Adam on this one...a measured Zs is far better on the cert than a theoretical one IMO. I think it is acceptable to add R1+R2+Ze for every circuit if you want, but i personally prefer a measured value when/where possible.

I won't answer your question directly because I understand my favourite scam suggest what you say

I will however say that once upon a time Electricians were taught to work with electricty,now make of that statemnt what you will

One clue I will reveal,live working focuses my respect if not any avoidance fears

Absolutely not. Always test Zs on all circuits how else would you know your circuit complies with the values for maximum permitted Zs. Calculations do not allow for high impedances through some MCB's, RCD's etc.

Completley agree. I think though, that if your theoretical Zs complies it's fine...which is stupid. Theres an apprentice, that used to do abit with me - now with another sparky i know, and apparantly on the 2395 testing and inspection practical exam they wouldn't allow any live testing of the circuits...all measured, and this was fine by them.

I won't name the company but they one company out they that gone Heath and safety madness, your not aloud to test live without signing a folder of paper work

I agree with all of you but the local college doesn't advise live testing of Zs, just as Markc123 said above. Is there not a call for say BC adapter leads and small and large and giant ES adapter leads for loop testers? So no H & S inspector walking in on me probing behind a FCU for a Zs reading would be critical? Same at any other live terminals, except at the incoming supply with the main earthing lead disconnected and the CU main switch open?

So no H & S inspector walking in
on me probing behind a FCU for a Zs reading would be critical?

If he was to play his silly H+S games whilst I was working live and possibly distracting me in any way,he would soon have my very rigid H+S boot targeted straight up his rear end and would be more concerned with extracting the said rigid boot out of his rear end than being critical of my practices

How is testing the incoming supply safer than testing the furthest point of a circuit? The furthest point would be protected by an MCB and RCD, the incomer just by the service fuse.
I suspect the reason for 'having to' test Ze live is because 'there's no other option', which doesn't make it any safer.

I agree with all of you but the local college doesn't advise live testing of Zs
So what about Ze, PEFC,PSCC? Or are those live tests acceptable? I've probably never heard such nonsense. Rather than discouraging these tests they should be teaching students how to carry them out safely and properly.

Adam, that's all very well but I was told of a factory inspector or similar reported a spark who was working in a warehouse that had been flooded and left the app standing by at the main dist board as a "safe Isolation". Again if these guys did appear on site you cannot assume you know better even if you think you do. I feel the same as you but have to respect the bofins.

Calcs are ok in some cases maybe a percentage to help speed you up in this get it done world we live in, but not for all the test sheet the calc for a ring main is not the same as Zs=Ze+(R1+R2), Can you Tell what it is yet :)

It's because there is no option other than live testing. A socket is ok as the test lead is designed to be safely plugged in, they say. I'm not arguing against live testing, simply stating what is recommended by trainers on the Inspection Courses.
We were made to wear gogles while doing the live Ze test and comply with the rule earth, neutral then line order of probing and the reverse when finished the test.

Reply to No live testing except where it's a must in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net