Discuss no main switch in DB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Came across a scenario today where the consumer unit had no main switch. It was a split load dual rcd board on tt installation. The incoming tails had been taken into one rcd, and connected in parrellel over to the other. There is a double pole isolator right next to the board, but nothing actually within the board that would isolate the whole installation, this doesnt seem right to me any thoughts or advice?

I can't think of a particular reason why it wouldn't actually comply, perhaps not ideal though - but at least the whole board can still be isolated with the adjacent DP isolator. Maybe the CU originally had a 100ma time delayed RCD as the main isolator and has been 'upgraded' at some point to 17th edition spec ?

Nothing wrong in my opinion as you have an adjacent means to isolate the board fully, I assume it is marked up as such to avoid any confusion unless its obvious.

Came across a scenario today where the consumer unit had no main switch. It was a split load dual rcd board on tt installation. The incoming tails had been taken into one rcd, and connected in parrellel over to the other. There is a double pole isolator right next to the board, but nothing actually within the board that would isolate the whole installation, this doesnt seem right to me any thoughts or advice?

did you take a picture?

had the main switch been removed to accommodate extra circuits?

The installation is two doors down from a job ive just done ( neighbour saw my van and asked me to look at some work ), and for which i asked a question on here. The original job had a 100a 100ma time delay rcd acting as a main switch, and the same double pole islolater adjacent to the consumer unit. I left this in place and installed an additional 100a 30ma rcd, protecting the circuits i had worked on.

Seems sombody had beaten me to this job, and gone about it a different way. It struck me as being unusual, but the more i thought about it i questioned what was actually wrong with it, and that its actually a better means if isolation as it isolates the whole board as opposed to just everything from the outgoing terminals of a main switch leaving the incoming still live.

Reply to no main switch in DB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net