Discuss No Neutral and broken ring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

walec

Hi All, got a call from a friend today who said a socket in the little girls room had got hot and then everything stopped working in the bedroom. I called in as we (family) were passing but had only a voltage tester and screwdriver on me. The smell of melting cable was quite stong in the little girls room so I took a socket off and found the Neutral Live so I headed for the consumer unit. I found the tails come out of the Meter into a 100a Switch ,
The Neutral tail was not tightened, just sitting in the clamp so I checked a socket on another ring before carrying on, no Neutral, tightened the clamp, Neutral restored, looks like they have been running on no Neutral? but still breaker for the bedroom ring (which is labeled lounge as it does both) keeps tripping, my guess is something has overloaded and melted, by process of elimination of connecting and disconnecting sockets I find two ends of the ring that that will stay live when the breaker is on, now I have 8 sockets (upstairs and down stairs) between these ends where the problem lies and have no idea how the ring is wired, if I connect one of these sockets to try to reduce the number the breaker trips, I will go back with my tester but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
Thanks

and have no idea how the ring is wired,
Thanks

If you need to work out the route of the ring you can do this by joining L and cpc of leg 1 and then just checking R1 + R2 readings at sockets - smallest reading is closest and increasing in value as you get further away. Will also help show breaks, can also do the same on the other leg.

Reply to No Neutral and broken ring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net