Discuss no power at socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnnymacc

hi guys anybody come across this before, got a call from a landlord to go look at a socket in a rented property,the socket had been working but suddenly stopped.I automatically assumed loose connection or socket faulty nips out with new socket just in case.Got to house whipped the socket front off and found no power but sockets before and after it in the ring had power and every other one in the house worked ok.Now i did no testing or any other investigative work as i have to ok it with the landlord can only think both legs of the ring have been damaged under floor but the fuse had not blown (rewirable) any one had this before.
Cheers,
John.

without doing continuity tests, your guess is a s good as mine.

Carry out full ring final continuity test first, sounds like broken ring or possibly not even a ring in the first place

I've seen this one before. Socket that apparently worked no longer work. Infact they had never worked because they hadn't been connected.

I would agree with others, that a rfc continuity check would be the place to start, then check the sockets either side of the dead socket

I come across a similar situation before, tested final ring continuity and all was good but still fault at socket of no power. Upon further investigation i found the socket i thought was on the ring was actualy on it's own ring in parallel to the main ring circuit via a jumble of JB's under the floor boards.

Sorry if this reply is blunt, but what sort of answers did you expect to this thread? You've no test data for analysis, hence you're none the wiser and found diagnosis of the fault(s) is impossible. We might be experienced electricians, but like you we're not clairvoyant!

As said, just because it has 2 cables to it doesn't mean it's part of the ring.
It could be in a radial to an immersion heater or something else no-one has noticed is not working.

I've lost count over 45 years how many times I've heard "It was working yesterday" only to find, no cables to a socket or light, fuses or mcb missing from a board etc.

If it's an long term tennant I'd be more inclined to believe it MAY have been working.

Find out what it has been used for and what was plugged in when it "stopped working"

Has any other work of ANY sort been done in the property recently?

Stroll on i rushed to it between jobs as yes it had been working and sockets either side do work and yes i did want to consult the landlord and yes i will find and sort i just asked if anyone had come across something like this before so i'll stay off the board for a few more months until the super sparks can actually read a question properly. ffs

Sorry Johnny but I can't see why you're upset mate. There's nothing I've read here that I'd find offensive, if I'd asked this on a site I'd expect to get far worse:)

Stroll on i rushed to it between jobs as yes it had been working and sockets either side do work and yes i did want to consult the landlord and yes i will find and sort i just asked if anyone had come across something like this before so i'll stay off the board for a few more months until the super sparks can actually read a question properly. ffs

could be a problem with a jb under floor

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys bit stressed,there is no power to the socket and its in the front room with working sockets either side plus its an old fuse board and all the sockets are on same fuse i will test it and and find the fault regards to all.

Big breaths mate, have a beer tonight and forget about it till landlord gives the ok for the full test. I'll bet you find the problem in about ten minutes. My money is on post 7:)

Sorry guys bit stressed,there is no power to the socket and its in the front room with working sockets either side plus its an old fuse board and all the sockets are on same fuse i will test it and and find the fault regards to all.

john dont apologise you said it was a quick look on your way to another job so no you wouldnt get your testers out as anyone would assume its the socket, until more investigation

i'd certainly be looking for a JB somewhere close to the non-working socket.

Hi John, Tis true that without continuity and other tests its a range of guesses but see if this makes you smile.... Lady rings "I've no power in my new conservatory,every other room OK,i know its weekend but any chance of a quick look?" ...turn up like yourself,minimum kit.Quick scan,isolate,first double off - NO WIRES.Fronts off other three- not a single wire.Ask when it last worked,"Oh,my son had his music on in there last week the day after it was decorated...." Starting now to look for hidden cameras......Few more forensic questions,turns out he was using his i-pod.....When asked if she had ever used them she said "Yes,i plugged my air freshener in the other day,,,"!! Well,she rang the "builder" and he said "You wanted four double sockets and you showed us exactly where you wanted them" ,she said "...But none of them are connected to anything!" and he replied "...Of course not,you have to be certified to do that!...." Now THATS quality! There are half a dozen things that tickle me about that job,not least the plasterer who MUST have wondered how the electricity would be arriving...! So there you are fella,i DO get your post,and you don't need to sleep with yer MFT to get a mini result! All the best...

After you make sure the sockets in question are dead then carry out a continuity tests on all of the related wiring.Probably find the wiring arrangement is not as you expect it is.

Reply to no power at socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock