Discuss No power to CU or meter after resetting RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was working on a lighting circuit connected to a 3 phase board. The board has a single RCD effectively acting as the main switch. After tripping the RCD by cutting a wire (the old circuit isolated via MCB but Neutral still connected reason), I found that the power to the board didn't come back on after resetting the RCD. The meter was also dead.
The service head is in another premises (where the power was still on) and I found that cycling the power off & on from the upstream premises seemed to reset something & power was restored to the DB & meter where I was working. This is a TT system. The owner of the other premises was unaware of any other infrastructure in-between. I found this to be repeatable.
I would like to understand what happened here.
Has anyone else come across this scenario who could suggest why this happened and how cycling the power brought ?

I was afraid someone was going to ask that question. The owner of the premises was talking confidently about it as if it was an RCD, saying it hadn't tripped, but it looked more like some form of isolator to me - a square grey metal box with a white up down switch. (He was a bit dismissive & the situation didn't encourage me to linger). The box was quite large in proportion to the size of the switch.

Many thanks guys for your replies, which I will research further. I hadn't heard of an MCCB with tripping coil before - I wonder if this is something that you are more likely to see in a 3 phase scenario.

I wonder if this is something that you are more likely to see in a 3 phase scenario.
Yes fairly common, you can buy add on earth leakage kits for when you need earth leakage protection on supplies >100A
I did have a photo of one in the dodgy trade pics thread but it is gone now.

I'm intrigued is it you on the unicycle.

....thought i was off,on a 4 pole voelcb debate.....?
Yep,it's me,many years previous,demonstrating balance,strength,and the dangers of weird company and too much free time?

I can still do that,but at 55,you have to realise the change, in things like responsibility and healing times.

I could do the same foolishness,with an old full size acetylene bottle,which is quite a bit heavier,than an oxy bottle,but did have a pedal shear off,on one occasion?

...come VERY close,to needing the unicycle,surgically removing,from me lower colon ??

Reply to No power to CU or meter after resetting RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock