Discuss No space for new CU. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OldskoolUpNorth

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Afternoon all,

Just got back from inspecting a domestic that is having a new CU installed.

Thing is, the DNO in all their wisdom have been out and fitted a posh new isolator as requested, FOR FREE, and put it in the only space big enough for a 17th board.

Now to the question,

Can a CU be mounted vertically?? i.e. On it's side. it's the only way it'll go in, and I don't think the guy will go for RCBOs and a smaller board just wi the cost of em.

Anybody ever fitted a CU vertical? or is it a big no-no.

Thanks as always.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

sparks1973

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yes....as long as the IP rating is not compromised and its mounted securely...then why not?....

S

sparks1973

any labeling would of course have to be readable by the client/user......

D

drew35

I think I would just move the isolator. Anybody who looks at a CSU on its side, whether its right or wrong, is going to criticize it!

O

OldskoolUpNorth

I think I would just move the isolator. Anybody who looks at a CSU on its side, whether its right or wrong, is going to criticize it!
It would be a lot easier drew but I don't cut DNO applied seals, I know people do but thats up to them.

Otherwise I'd just of removed the main cut out in the first place.

S

sparks1973

so is it still compliant to have it on its side?...yes or no Drew?...

S

sparks1973

exactly Tel...

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Unless the instructions for the CU state anything regarding positioning? Daz

M

Merl

It's acceptable to mount a consumer unit vertically as long as the main switch & circuit breaker 'on/off' positions are easily identifiable and circuit identification corresponds to the relevant OCPD.

According to Elecsa technical.

kingeri

-
Arms
As mentioned, the main things are IP rating, function and identification. I would never do it, but I can't see a reason not to, as long as the above is ok.

darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Wont all the electric fall out if its on the side? :thinking2:

The other option is to fit a 2 tier board in again its a space issue.

It should just settle on what becomes the bottom of the CU mate but the bus bar will suck it up to the MCBs. Caplliary action you know:)

S

sparks1973

It's acceptable to mount a consumer unit vertically as long as the main switch & circuit breaker 'on/off' positions are easily identifiable and circuit identification corresponds to the relevant OCPD.

According to Elecsa technical.
exactly..as #3...

G

Guest55

Cant you just rotate the entire meter cupboard through 90 degrees ?
Seems perfectly obvious to me.
;-)

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
don't matter anyway, coz as soon as you post a pic. on here, it will be turned sideways anyway

M

Merl

Hymns are sexist - we should sing 'hers'. Daz
Song sheet --------- song sheet, we'll call it a song sheet, eh?

We can all sing songs! Mind what I've seen on telly............ I'm not so sure!!

A very good musician once told me wife (who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket) everyone can sing, just some can sing better than others

S

sparks1973

don't matter anyway, coz as soon as you post a pic. on here, it will be turned sideways anyway
so if its a BS3036 board....all the nails will drop out....

1shortcircuit

Thanks for providing a link back to this thread 1sc , just what we need , a never-ending loop lol.
Thanks for pointing that out although 1) not sure why the forum keeps doing that when I add "speech" tags 2) not sure that it was really worthy of a post. Having said that some like to see those post totals add up eh lmao

;) xxxx

M

mickys86

I once got heavily criticised on here when I was a new member, I asked why a cu would not be able to go its side. I got told by a member ( cannot remember who) that an mcb works on gravity. If an mcb is turned on its side then the gravitational pull isn't where it should be and it will affect te trip times.

I then proceeded to say it complete and utter ********
And then got told I didn't have a clue what I was talking about, look into how mcb's are made and come back when ya learnt somat.......

DNS1

-
Arms
Esteemed
I once got heavily criticised on here when I was a new member, I asked why a cu would not be able to go its side. I got told by a member ( cannot remember who) that an mcb works on gravity. If an mcb is turned on its side then the gravitational pull isn't where it should be and it will affect te trip times.

I then proceeded to say it complete and utter ********
And then got told I didn't have a clue what I was talking about, look into how mcb's are made and come back when ya learnt somat.......
I was always told to mount a CU the correct way up because of the A) IP rating and B) the fact that, if mounted at right angles, it contravenes the manufacturers instructions (not great if anything goes wrong, whether if your fault or not!)

With regards MCBs operating due to gravity, that sounds like rubbish to me... Seen many a board which is DESIGNED for the breakers to be in sideways!

tigerpaul

-
Arms
Breakers do not work on gravity! That is a load of old pony!
If they did, then Mr Spoons cu in his house on Button Moon wouldn't work.

I guess you can, but it isn't worth the hassle, you'll be called back within the week to change it. After the clients know it all neighbour has said "oh that's wrong" " oh that's really dangerous "

I'd either move the isolator, or say to the client it's got to the a smaller board with rcbo's

1shortcircuit

I guess you can, but it isn't worth the hassle, you'll be called back within the week to change it. After the clients know it all neighbour has said "oh that's wrong" " oh that's really dangerous "

I'd either move the isolator, or say to the client it's got to the a smaller board with rcbo's
So long as the client is made aware of what work will be carried out before installation commences and reasons can be supported with the manufacturers instructions/any other literature proving it complies then I'm sure they will be happy and have no reason to be concerned. Sell it to them by showing them the comparison quote of the RCBO's and let them make the decision. :thumbsup

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to No space for new CU. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom