Discuss No Wipers or wash BSI or comm unit peugeot 206 cc in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mrpinky

Peugeot 206 cc 2003 - The story so far...... whilst driving in the rain my wipers stopped working resulting in recovery back to my house with the car.
The next day I proceeded to investigate concluding that I would change the wiper motor and linkage. Picked up a second-hand one from just round the corner.
Got home and fitted it and still nothing. So after posting on Peugeot forums I was told to try the bsi reset procedure - you know doors closed - window down - wait 3 mins etc.
I gave this a few tries BUT STILL NO WIPERS OR WASH. Returning to the Peugeot forums with my list of what I had tried the subject of a comm 2000 unit came up. So back to the car dissmantlers
and as luck would have it the car that the replacement wiper assembly came from was the same year and model as mine and the comm unit had the same part number! Fantastic I thought - went home got on youtube
found a video on how to refit the unit - so air bag off - stering wheel off - comm off - new comm on - reconect battery - and no wipers. I feel I should mention that in the time in between forums and buying replaement parts I did test every fuse fitted to the car with and without power - all of which were fine -
also looked for bad earths and unplugged all sockets from the under bonnet fuse box and from the bsi unit popped them both open to see if there was any water damage burning dry joints or anything else that looked suspect.
- but no - they were very clean so nothing to see there.

So far the cost is at ÂŁ70.00 - so not breaking the bank but as I had been made redundant just before Christmas - every penny counts. So biting the bullet I searched for a mobile auto electrician. Found a guy with 27 years experience - I called him up - explained all to him including that cash was tight
to which he said no problem and he would do it for a tenner less that his normal rate, explaining that it was one fee so if he could sort it out in less than an hour he wins - but if it took 3 or 4 hours I get a good deal. Fantastic i thought.
what a nice guy telling me he would be with me before 4pm the next day - brilliant I thought. So I texted him all the details he asked for and I stayed home the next day. Anyway 4pm came but he didn't soI gave it 20 minutes and sent a text saying I guess you have been delayed he replied saying yes he had and could I text my address again - not sure why as it was to the same phone I originally sent the text too
Anyway he came - plugged in his kit and using actuation he made my wipers work and the washers. I was starting to feel excited. Anyway he sat there doing things for a while but the wipers/washers were still not working once the kit was unplugged.
He then told me it was the comm unit (wow - who would have thought it would be possible to fit a second-hand unit with the exact same fault). He said I would need to buy a new one. So I got to it - found a new one - ÂŁ193 with vat and postage. It came 2 days later so I went out there feeling excited once more
- fitted it and NO wipers. I should mention that all other functions work and have been throughout this whole drama. So I called "MY GUY" - no answer - so I left a message. Gave it an hour or so and tried again - still no answer - so sent a text. Anyway at about 9.30pm I got a text saying he had just finished work and would call tomorrow not knowing if he meant he was going to phone me or call round.
I sent a text saying OK text me when you have a better idea of when you can get to me. Anyway the next day came and went despite trying to contact him and the same the next day.
By the way - his ad says he works 7 days a week including bank holidays until 9 pm.
So the next day I phoned him - no answer - so I left a message. This time he replied with a text saying he was literally on his way to me but he was at some distance so I expected it to be
a couple of hours - he did turn up - but with no kit on him - just saying have you got the keys to which I replied yes and started to walk to the car. He then said I'll go and get my tools
and walked off down the road. As the car had been sitting for a while I thought I should check it would start, thinking if it doesn't and the battery is too weak or flat - he won't be able to
do anything and may be ----ed off. So I started the car and let it run until he came back, which he did. Upon his return I was told "I wish you hadn't done that - I'll now have to wait 45 minutes
for it all to go to sleep....." - he also said "I need to get something to eat but by the time I come back it would be getting too dark to do an osiloscopic??? test..." and that he would have
to take the bsi out and strip it as it is a multi-layered circuit and it can't be done in the dark. So once again another wasted day - but he said he'd be back tomorow but not until his
deliveries had come - so it would be between 10 and 11 am - and off he went.

So you can guess - 12.30 came and no sign of him - so I texted him politely asking if he could let me know what was happening? Two and a half hours later I got a reply saying some parts
had gone missing and he was at the postal depot chasing them up - but his reception was bad and could he collect the key and do what he needed to do without me being there - followed by I do apologise.
Texting back I told him I would be here anyway and asked what time he would be here? It's now 9pm and not a word.....

Throughout this I have been calm and polite to him - but some other things I would like to add - apart from feeling like he is full of ---- and can't fix my wipers - he told me the kit he uses is many thousands of pounds - something I doubt as it's the Launch x432 Diagun 2 and you can get them for less than ÂŁ400 now - I don't know if you then have to spend
another let's say, ÂŁ1600.00 on software. Anyway finally after this long and drawnout topic I would like to know can a competent auto electrician (NOT HIM - he is off the job as far as I am
concerned) fix my problem with the kit he has - or is he just talking ----? Also I would like your answers regarding as to what I say to this guy to let him know that I know he is full of ----
if this is indeed the case.

Warmest regards to all who help me in this most troubling of times.

Jez

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pal,have you had a good rest? :)

I feel your woes,stem from two things. The first was a hurried and diverse diagnosis,and the second,a poor technician.

You cannot just move on in a straight line,from this point,you will have to start again.

The vehicle is mobile,weather apart,so get it to a well equipped diagnostic centre,or even a main dealer,who will do a fixed price assessment,or fault find.

The reason your story interested me,is i had a call from one of my equestrian customers,regarding her father's 2012 Renault Megane,which had been without wipers,for 2 months.

It had been in two garages,and had one fruitless visit from supposed auto electrician.There was power to the wiper motor unit,and it could be made to work independently.

A quick trip to me pal,who has a wireless,computer device which not only code reads,but can interact and impose parameter changes to the various systems,updated live,of course...

The long and short of it,was the wipers could be made to work via this device,but only on fast setting,which pointed to a fault on the wiper motor unit's own module.

The unit was ordered (ÂŁ120) and i fitted it in an hour,all working fine.

Me pals device? ÂŁ6500 and counting... usual assessment charge? ÂŁ40 +vat (which i dodged as we trade on skills;)) ...

The moral? pay properly,and pay once.

Get on a forum,applicable to your model of vehicle,and ask about a recommended diagnostic outfit,near to where you are,pay him,and drive home in the rain :)

Reply to No Wipers or wash BSI or comm unit peugeot 206 cc in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock