Discuss Noise on phone extension. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nick Thorley

I have an issue with noise on a phone extension. I have tested the line at the test socket at the master and the noise is not present so it must be internal wiring. I have repunched the cable at each end but the noise remains - bar installing fresh cable (which I cant see how it would make a difference) I am at a loss as to what could be causing the noise. Its fine at certain times of day and then appears again at others. Do you think the first step should be to recable or should i look elsewhere. Do master sockets have a lifespan - ie it could be a fault in the front plate?

Could be a fault in the plate, how old is it? Also check for no connections in between master and slave, any junction box etc as this could cause noise and interference.

edrobbo8 It was in when we moved in so at least 7 ish years. There are no joints - straight from master socket up the stairs and into a room upstairs where it sits behind a desk. Could interference from nearby computers and power sockets affect it? Wondering whether to move it well away from the desk and then make the phone cable from the phone and router reach. Also are the punch connections reliable - always seems a cheap and nasty way to connect to me.

If you have some spare cable , I would run it out loosely to either the same socket or another one and compare ,

It could be the cable itself
Actually I get lots of interference on mine , it only happens when my wife talk to me though ,,lol,,

Have you fitted a filter at every outlet if you have a router or sky etc plugged in? If the noise is high frequency this is the likely cause.

Unplug your router and sky box etc (anything using internet basically) and see if the line is clear ...if you already have filters at all the outlets one maybe faulty.

I have an issue with noise on a phone extension. I have tested the line at the test socket at the master and the noise is not present so it must be internal wiring. I have repunched the cable at each end but the noise remains - bar installing fresh cable (which I cant see how it would make a difference) I am at a loss as to what could be causing the noise. Its fine at certain times of day and then appears again at others. Do you think the first step should be to recable or should i look elsewhere. Do master sockets have a lifespan - ie it could be a fault in the front plate?

What tests have you done as this is not clear. I assume the proper krone tool has been used to repunch the cable, what type of cable has been used seen plenty of installs where alarm cable has been used for extensions if phone cable has been used are 2 & 5 connected on the same twisted pair

edrobbo8 It was in when we moved in so at least 7 ish years. There are no joints - straight from master socket up the stairs and into a room upstairs where it sits behind a desk. Could interference from nearby computers and power sockets affect it? Wondering whether to move it well away from the desk and then make the phone cable from the phone and router reach. Also are the punch connections reliable - always seems a cheap and nasty way to connect to me.

What connections are used on the extension cabling is it 2, 5 & 3 or just 2 & 5 if it is 2, 5 & 3 disconnect terminal 3 and check for interference as mentioned previously ADSL filters can fail so may be worth swapping them out

The punch (Krone) connectors are reasonably reliable if punched down using the correct tooling but there are people who think it is ok to use a screwdriver or the back of a stanley knife blade and damage the connectors

Reply to Noise on phone extension. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net