Discuss Noise in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Unplug items of equipment that could be causeing the noise, ie old PC monitors and PC`s, TV`s etc then try to take your reading.

Tony will know what causes it, I think its something to do with earth leakage. A company I worked for did a bowling alley and there was loads of 'noise' from the monitors above the lanes causeing interferance and a ****ty picture. We ran a clean earth round the circuit back to the main earth bar and it sorted it out.

Fitting filters to the circuit can prevent noise like harmonics.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPS's cause noise on some of the circuits at a place where I do regular work.
With the Fluke 1653 I repeat the test a few times & get a result, or as you say calculate it.

Uninterruptable Power Supply
Loose the mains supply & these babies keep circuits active for x amount of time, the norm on IT kit.

Arr the good old UPS. I know of a guy who works for a company that did alot for W H Smith. He completely ****ed a UPS system and all the tills on a brand new store in the Trafford centre at Manchester some years back now !! Company insurance paid out, kid got away with it and the supervisor took all the ****, he wouldnt grass on the kid. Told him to do the right thing and own up but he never did. Supervisor jacked his job shortly after. The kid still works for the said company and still ****S everything up !! Gets away with murder. Followed them on a refit once to find potential 400V at em lights with the ****ing earths cut out !! You know, switch feed off of L1 and em live off of L2. I will PM you the company name if you really wanna know, they are based in Oldham, are NICEIC registered and get away wiv murder !!!

Anyway back to the noise.

na nothing like that loads of 240v downlights could this be the problem, removed all the bulbs and shut everything off but still noise.
i did have it on the sockets when washer and fridge where on! turned them off and it went, but cant understand the lights!
Its a fairly new house on a massive development.

na nothing like that loads of 240v downlights could this be the problem, removed all the bulbs and shut everything off but still noise.
i did have it on the sockets when washer and fridge where on! turned them off and it went, but cant understand the lights!
Its a fairly new house on a massive development.

Are you sure they're all LV lamps and not ELVs with transformers hidden in the roofspace? Is there anything running a motor on the circuit. eg fishtank pump.

Any dimmer switches on the lighting circuit.

Sorry about asking another question, just trying to eliminate "normal potential sources"

on the downstairs lighting there is a 2g dimmer and i got a reading, but nothing on the upstairs. As for the light they are gu10's 230v

Make sure that the dimmers are at maximum illumination when testing. If you still have noise try bypassing the dimmer with a choc block if no noise you have a dodgey dimmer.

Make sure that the dimmers are at maximum illumination when testing. If you still have noise try bypassing the dimmer with a choc block if no noise you have a dodgey dimmer.
i tried this but still noise on upstairs lighting

Reply to Noise in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock