Discuss Noisy,buzzing contractor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not at all,imagine f a fault developed at the point where the main cable enters the isolator/contactor. If the main cable is 25mm and the control cable is 2.5mm, there is a danger that the smaller cable could suffer "burn out". This could result in a fire!!
The control feed at this point should ideally be the same or at least 50% of the size of the main cable until it reaches the circuit breaker or fuse for the control circuit.
Of course ideally the cables of dissimilar size could be fed from a busbar system and bolted seperately, this would negate the problem.
Agree, usually a ctrl cable supply comes from elsewhere.like a BMS SYSTEM,if not a C.C supply should of been installed @ some point.
Maybe a 10 amp C.C.

Cliffed: If you take a butchers at page A5 of:

https://datasheet.octopart.com/RT1S-General-Electric-datasheet-42641207.pdf

it explains the coding system for the part number of the GE contactor series you are working on. The last few digits refer to the coil voltage. Looking at the image you provided these numbers are 400 on the new contactor. An earlier 'A' in the part number means an ac control circuit.

I suspect you have swapped a defective contactor with a 230V ac 50Hz coil for one with a 400V ac 50Hz coil - this would explain the noise and chattering as the coil struggles to close the contactor against the opening springs. You have already pointed out the control circuit is powered L-N thus 230V ac.

it explains the coding system for the part number of the GE contactor series you are working on. The last few digits refer to the coil voltage. Looking at the image you provided these numbers are 400 on the new contactor. An earlier 'A' in the part number means an ac control circuit.

I suspect you have swapped a defective contactor with a 230V ac 50Hz coil for one with a 400V ac 50Hz coil - this would explain the noise and chattering as the coil struggles to close the contactor against the opening springs. You have already pointed out the control circuit is powered L-N thus 230V ac.
He ought to know better being a Qualified Engineer and all.

The pic is the old contactor,the coil is 230v.

May I ask what the contactor supplies power to? Did it buzz/chatter before? You may want to check all the connections up and downstream of the contactor to see if that makes a difference. A poor or higher resistance connection in one of the lines or neutral will unbalance what would otherwise be a balanced load and thereby create voltage distortion and thence perhaps a distortion of the current through the coil leading to buzzing and noise. Just a thought.

I'd chuck them off site. Last thing you want is someone half-cut snooping around your stuff.
Wait, what? Not a 'nosy boozing contractor?'
In that case IME 95% of all noisy buzzing contactors are mechanically stiff or dirty, not assembled properly or the wrong coil spec. But as Marconi points out, check the coil voltage directly at the terminals in case it's low.

May I ask what the contactor supplies power to? Did it buzz/chatter before? You may want to check all the connections up and downstream of the contactor to see if that makes a difference. A poor or higher resistance connection in one of the lines or neutral will unbalance what would otherwise be a balanced load and thereby create voltage distortion and thence perhaps a distortion of the current through the coil leading to buzzing and noise. Just a thought.
It supplies a TPN DB.

Chattering contactors, many time in my time it was down to dirty pole faces on the magnetic part of the contactors , worth checking for grease and poor alignment on the magnetic side of things.

Chattering contactors, many time in my time it was down to dirty pole faces on the magnetic part of the contactors , worth checking for grease and poor alignment on the magnetic side of things.
If it's brand new and chattering, check coil voltage and actual voltage being supplied.
It may be fault in retaining circuit.
Turn off DB and recheck for buzzing.
Turn off all circuits in DB.
Re-engage DB and introduce circuits one at a time.

Reply to Noisy,buzzing contractor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock