Discuss Non combustible switchgear in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

WallaceP

-
Arms
Reaction score
hey guys, I had a quick search but couldn’t find any posts about this.
I recently done an inspection on a domestic property and found the electrical meter was outside in a service cabinet and the fuseboard was inside more than 5m away. I recommended installed a fused disconnector at the meter to comply with regulations and also for convenience if the fuseboard had to be isolated.
I would say this should be non combustible but I still see a lot of the plastic styles of these switches available. Such as LEMSF100.
Is it possible for this to be installed as it is outside the home? I think I would rather install a metal one anyway but curious to hear your opinion on the matter

Install the Plastic isolator in the Meter cabinet, that's non combustible isn't it? that's my opinion.

We've debated this subject before; some suggest a switch fuse is not similar switchgear assembly, some suggest a meter box (plastic)flushed into an outside wall is not within a domestic premise.

When I was in a scheme, I did seek guidance from their technical, and the response was that the designer would have to make that assessment, as whether 421.1.201 applied in these circumstances.

So you can ask the question, and would probably get a lot of responses that it doesn't, but its for you to decide.

We've debated this subject before; some suggest a switch fuse is not similar switchgear assembly, some suggest a meter box (plastic)flushed into an outside wall is not within a domestic premise.

When I was in a scheme, I did seek guidance from their technical, and the response was that the designer would have to make that assessment, as whether 421.1.201 applied in these circumstances.

So you can ask the question, and would probably get a lot of responses that it doesn't, but its for you to decide.
So in a nut shell the Scheme couldn't / didn't offer advice because they didn't know the answer, left the decision up to the installer, Buck passing of the highest order, and you pay hard earned dosh to belong to a Scheme, yes it's old, I agree, but true non the less.

So in a nut shell the Scheme couldn't / didn't offer advice because they didn't know the answer, left the decision up to the installer, Buck passing of the highest order, and you pay hard earned dosh to belong to a Scheme, yes it's old, I agree, but true non the less.

Well, its kinda of a bit vague, 421.1.201. If the grown ups at the IET etc, want to make things clear as mud, perhaps you should lay the blame at their door.

It’s debatable whether you should even fit any consumers switchgear in the DNO’s meter cabinet as some may prohibit it

But the meter cabinet isn't the DNO's property, it belongs to the consumer.
Can’t speak for them all Dave but working on some new builds in Sheffield around 3 years ago, we had to get the builder to install a separate meter cabinet to house the switch fuse isolator as the DNO refused to allow it in along side their metering equipment.
Or rather the metering company refused as it’s their equipment so we complied with their wishes

Can’t speak for them all Dave but working on some new builds in Sheffield around 3 years ago, we had to get the builder to install a separate meter cabinet to house the switch fuse isolator as the DNO refused to allow it in along side their metering equipment.
Or rather the metering company refused as it’s their equipment so we complied with their wishes

Interesting, and I'm sure you could have argued the point if you wanted to but would probably turn out to be more hassle than it's worth.

The simple way to look at it is that the consumer has buy the meter box outright therfore it belongs to them.

Interesting, and I'm sure you could have argued the point if you wanted to but would probably turn out to be more hassle than it's worth.

The simple way to look at it is that the consumer has buy the meter box outright therfore it belongs to them.
Totally agree.
However arguing the case with the builder after the metering company has told them we can’t utilise the cabinet was futile.

The DNO just fit the head and leave the fuse on top ready for the meter lads.
Once the DNO have done their bit then they are not seen again.

The requirement in BS7671 regarding non-combustible Consumer Units and similar switchgear, requires the assembly to be manufactured in accordance with BS EN 61439-3.
Switchfuses are manufactured in accordance with BS EN 60947-3.

The requirement in BS7671 regarding non-combustible Consumer Units and similar switchgear, requires the assembly to be manufactured in accordance with BS EN 61439-3.
Switchfuses are manufactured in accordance with BS EN 60947-3.
A fair point

Reply to Non combustible switchgear in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock