Discuss Non electrician - house rewire advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Costs-wise, it's difficult to give a firm sum. A normal re-wire with the additional works you've requested could take a two man team maybe 8 days in an empty 4 bed house (no inhabitants or furniture). With occupants, moving furniture, making the place safe every evening, ensuring a power supply for lights and sockets every evening and sheeting up everything, you could be doubling the time and therefore doubling the labour costs. I'm not sure of the average day rate in Nottingham but I'd reckon somewhere in the region of £7-8k including materials for the works required. I think those with more experience would be able to suggest a firmer sum but the above is based on the info you've provided and my interpretation.

Couple of points jump to mind in all the above. First, an EICR should not recommend a re-wire only to state whether the existing installation is safe for continued use. The most significant finding in the report is the low insulation readings. As they are above 1Mohm normally further investigation should be stated.
While I am not impugning the integrity of the contractor, It is a moot point as to whether a rewire is required or investigation and perhaps rectification, at least both choices should have been put to you strictly speaking.
Having said that; I have come across much worse installation and recovered them to a usable and decent state. However I should point out that it cost almost the same as a re-wire. Now I know this is all a bit circular but we do have to be careful regards trading standards and how we are steering a client when there is the potential of 7k in the pot for the taking. I feel you should have been offered the investigation route and you decide. Which it seems you have anyway and seems like a sage choice all things considered.
I caution you to get a full contract with full details and cost and completion dates. I urge you to ensure registration with a scheme, and research reviews etc. There have been so many heartaches caused by poor management on the part of the client as well as the contractor.
Be clear about what the contract states as regards removal of waste, carpets, personal property damage and ensure the contractor is fully insured. This is a major investment and will add value to the house. Nowadays we have advanced to using Arc Fault Detection Devices and Surge Protection Devices. They at the moment are very expensive making a 10 way consumer unit potentially around £2K alone! If you are not discussing this with the contractor you may assume that something is missing in the spec. imo.
Ok that's it....for now:)

Built in 1972, but conductor sizes are metric, this says to me it is not the original cables.
[automerge]1578605517[/automerge]
I.e. in 10 years time when you are having solar panels all over the roof and the tradesman is trying to tell you where they are about to run a cable down the outside wall, you can point to the corner of the loft and say there is a 10mm cable there that goes to the board, can’t you use that?!!

As long as the electrician installing the cable understands what it is to be used for, and that it can't rely on a 30mA RCD for additional protection due to the solar system continuing to keep the cable live after the RCD has tripped.

The Cable Makers Confederation decided on metric standards in 1970 but obviously there could be differences either side of this. My house has 90% of its original wiring from 1971, all metric.
Adoption of metric standards was first posed by the BSI in 1962.

Was metric cable in use before the 14th was reprinted in metric?

Yes

It was in widespread use.

The 14th in metric signaled the end of imperial, rather than the start of metric.

(metric was on the increase prior to the update in 14th, and imperial really started not to be stocked by wholesalers after the new 14th)

Thanks for all the input and suggestions received so far, it is appreciated.
I understand that a full rewire might not be essential but feel it is the right time to do it and we plan on this being our "forever home" so it is an investment that we are comfortable with.

We have had 3 quotes come in so far, £4k, £5k & £5.5k with 2 more still to come in so once we have them all we can decide on who is best, not who is cheapest.

How long would you expect a job like this to take and would you normally leave a gap inbetween first and second fixings for some plastering to be done?

Couple of points jump to mind in all the above. First, an EICR should not recommend a re-wire only to state whether the existing installation is safe for continued use. The most significant finding in the report is the low insulation readings. As they are above 1Mohm normally further investigation should be stated.
While I am not impugning the integrity of the contractor, It is a moot point as to whether a rewire is required or investigation and perhaps rectification, at least both choices should have been put to you strictly speaking.
Having said that; I have come across much worse installation and recovered them to a usable and decent state. However I should point out that it cost almost the same as a re-wire. Now I know this is all a bit circular but we do have to be careful regards trading standards and how we are steering a client when there is the potential of 7k in the pot for the taking. I feel you should have been offered the investigation route and you decide. Which it seems you have anyway and seems like a sage choice all things considered.
I caution you to get a full contract with full details and cost and completion dates. I urge you to ensure registration with a scheme, and research reviews etc. There have been so many heartaches caused by poor management on the part of the client as well as the contractor.
Be clear about what the contract states as regards removal of waste, carpets, personal property damage and ensure the contractor is fully insured. This is a major investment and will add value to the house. Nowadays we have advanced to using Arc Fault Detection Devices and Surge Protection Devices. They at the moment are very expensive making a 10 way consumer unit potentially around £2K alone! If you are not discussing this with the contractor you may assume that something is missing in the spec. imo.
Ok that's it....for now:)

This is very late in the day but I am a new member and non-electrician in a position similar to the thread starter. This and other comments on this thread are all great advice and I have taken it all on board!

Reply to Non electrician - house rewire advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net