Discuss Non Electrician Socket/Dishwasher Question in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fletcher89

Hi I am not an electrician but stumbled across this forum when trying to find answers to my I problem so thought I'd ask here, hope you don't mind.

The problem is one of the sockets in my kitchens seems to be blowing up my dishwashers. I have two gaps in my kitchen, either side of my sink, for appliances. Both have single sockets and an additional switch just below the top cupboards to turn the plugs on or off. The one where my washing machine is fine but I think the other has a problem.

I first bought a nearly new (less than 6 months) all singing and dancing dishwasher, plugged in it and within five minutes of switching it on all the plug sockets in my house had tripped and I had to go to the fuse box and flick a switch to get them back on. Thankfully I got my money back for that one as I assumed it was the dishwasher that was at fault. I then went out and got a second hand dishwasher that worked, but each time I did a cycle I would hear a faint popping noise. Then one night when it was on I heard a very loud popping noise and all the electrics went off, plug sockets, lights, everything. After that I turn the plug off and went back to hand washing.

Then yesterday I decided to get another dishwasher, plugged it in last night and within five minutes all the plug sockets in the house had tripped. I unplugged it and tried plugging it in in various other downstairs plugs using an extension lead and the same thing happened, so I think it's safe to say the dishwasher is broken.

What are the chances of the plug being faulty and that causing my dishwashers to break? Or have I just been unlucky with dishwashers?

TIA

The popping noise you hear is not good. It sounds (no pun intended) as though it's the socket that has the problem and has taken out the fuse on each appliance. But without looking at it i'm just guessing. Get an electrician in pronto. Someone on here from the Nottingham area will be along soon and will probably pm you.

without being there to see it it could be a neutral short circuit
or an improperly wired socket!
this is not something a home owner can sort out please get a spark to sort it out for you!

Given the fact that 3 dishwasher have tripped the sockets in short order I'd say it's time to get the suspect circuit investigated properly. It's not something you can do without test equipment so you're going to have to get an experienced sparky in to do it. As well as testing the circuit it will need exposing to visually check all connections and terminations etc. If a thorough investigation doesn't turn anything up then there's a longshot possibility you've had 3 successive faulty appliances but like I say it's a long shot.

Given the fact that 3 dishwasher have tripped the sockets in short order I'd say it's time to get the suspect circuit investigated properly. It's not something you can do without test equipment so you're going to have to get an experienced sparky in to do it. As well as testing the circuit it will need exposing to visually check all connections and terminations etc. If a thorough investigation doesn't turn anything up then there's a longshot possibility you've had 3 successive faulty appliances but like I say it's a long shot.

And the update was ?>??/

Reply to Non Electrician Socket/Dishwasher Question in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net