Discuss non fire rated downlighters in a kitchen with bedrooms above? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

urchy107

Hi all, I have recently fitted some non fire rated lights supplied by the customer into a kitchen with bedroom above,they are gu10 all fitted with led. I have been under the impression that this is ok in a 2 story house with a stairwell connecting main floors as long as holes are not cut in fire board or double skinned. I used to fit these with my previous employer and he was well on top of all the regs etc but I have just been told this is not the case anymore? If anyone knows the crack it would be much appreciated, I have only put them in 1 house since being self employed so wouldn't be the end of the world if i have to change them but im sure the customer wont be happy, but that's the problem with customers supplying materials I suppose. cheers

don't panic. you don't need to fit fire rated if the room/s above are occupied by the same occupier as below. this is because the hnbouse occupied by one family is considered as a single fire compartment. it's only when you have , say, a flat above, occupied by a separate tenant.

Last edited:
I am under the impression that you are required to fit fire rated downlighter's if there is a habitable room above according to Part B Building Regs.

nope. only if separate occupancy. the exception would be in an integral garage, with say, a bedroom above. the whole purpose of fire rated fittings is to reinstate a fire barrier that you have breached by drilling a hole. a normal ceiling in a house is not a fire barrier.

yup. beats watching emmeroids and dead enders though.

no because occupier can replace LEDs with halogens. and the purpose of fire rated fittings is not to prevent them catching fire. it's to reinstate the fire barrier you have breached ( if the ceiling is classed as a fire barrier, which it ins't in most domestic properties)

Reply to non fire rated downlighters in a kitchen with bedrooms above? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net